The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Arab culture AD 2014 is primitive. Film at 11. What Viking misses, imho, is that the state of modern Islam is a symptom, not the cause.

And just so be clear, I still consider religion (especially of the Abrahamic kind) evil and vile. It's just that Arabs following Christianity would be just as bloodthirsty, imo (as Europeans were in the past).

mongers

Just listening to a professor of phonetics interviewed on bbc news, she said the speaker in the video has a characteristic "Jafaican" or Multicultural London English dialect.

She suggested he'd be not much older than early 30s, but didn't get into ethnic background. Said it was possible he was a speaker of a 2nd language or that English wasn't his first, though said nothing that wouldn't rule out he was English born and breed.

His speech may well have been rehearsed, so that could mask some characteristics, intentional or not.

No way of identifying on voice along, even if there was a secondary authenticated recording of a known individual for comparison.

Though that doesn't rule out someone recognising his voice and coming forward with the information to the police.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jafaican
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 07:14:16 AM
Viking, you are putting the cart in front of the horse here.

The mechanisms in Christianity/Catholicism you describe were not inherent in these religions - they were developed by the Western civilisation to cope with the issues you are ascribing to Islam (such as literalism, contradicitions, un-scientific-ness) - and it took the West a lot of blood and ink to reach these conclusions (e.g. dismissing more preposterous parts of the Bible as allegories). And these mechanisms were (again, as I said, none of us is a scholar of Islam, so our knowledge is based really on hearsay and websites with an axe to grind) also present in Islam as practiced for example in medieval al-Andalus - in short, they are what advanced civilisations develop to deal with the idiocy of religion.

Again, there is no such thing as TRUE religion or TRUTH in religion. Religions are what they are. They are what their adherents do. What a religion did but no longer does is irrelevant. The only real relevance the history of a religion has on it's status today is in the effect it has on modern religion and the modern religious believer.

What the prophet actually does is monumentally irrelevant. What matters is what was reported of his actions and what was reported of his motivations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Viking, I am not sure I understand what you are arguing any more. Can you restate the thesis of your argument in one-two short sentences?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:02:34 AM
Viking, I am not sure I understand what you are arguing any more. Can you restate the thesis of your argument in one-two short sentences?

Islam sucks. Muslims suck.   :showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2014, 09:18:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:02:34 AM

Islam sucks. Muslims suck.   :showoff:

Oh, ok, then we agree.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 07:42:06 AM
Arab culture AD 2014 is primitive. Film at 11. What Viking misses, imho, is that the state of modern Islam is a symptom, not the cause.

And just so be clear, I still consider religion (especially of the Abrahamic kind) evil and vile. It's just that Arabs following Christianity would be just as bloodthirsty, imo (as Europeans were in the past).

So you're a racist, then? Arabs will be barbarians regardless of cultural or philosophical background then?

------------------------

In the last few pages of discussion I'm strongly reminded of one thing.

1400 years ago a follower of Islam told his soldiers to throw books in a river ("if it is good knowledge God has granted us better; if it is bad knowledge God has protected us from evil".)

700 years ago a follower of Islam ordered his servants to try and destroy the Pyramids.

Today I can point at followers of Islam across world advocating and doing the same as their ancestors above (Mali, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan...)

I can't really tell the difference between any of them.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Well we have (or maybe had) lots of Arabs following Christianity so I find it being presented as a hypothetical a bit odd  :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2014, 09:24:48 AM
Well we have (or maybe had) lots of Arabs following Christianity so I find it being presented as a hypothetical a bit odd  :hmm:

Do we have any country with an Arab Christian majority? My point is that primitive religious cultures use their religion to justify their barbaric treatment of the "other", and that it only loosely correlates with the particular religion they follow.

Eddie Teach

Valmy

Well Lebanon was supposed to be the Christian Arab country but that didn't work out well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Incidentally, the Uganda's "kill the gays" bill was supported by the local Christian (including Catholic) clergy and was in fact actively promoted there by fringe US-based Christian dominacionist group. Which kinda proves my point that Christians can be as murderous if sufficiently primitive and fanatical.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:37:01 AM
Incidentally, the Uganda's "kill the gays" bill was supported by the local Christian (including Catholic) clergy and was in fact actively promoted there by fringe US-based Christian dominacionist group. Which kinda proves my point that Christians can be as murderous if sufficiently primitive and fanatical.

Wow thanks Marty this is totally new information.  Uganda is like 90% Christian so...yeah.  But Russia is also Christian.

Eddie Teach

90%? Then how the heck did Amin manage to take power?  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2014, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:37:01 AM

Wow thanks Marty this is totally new information.

Are you being facetious? Because I thought that was common knowledge. :P

QuoteUganda is like 90% Christian so...yeah.  But Russia is also Christian.

And also sliding quite badly towards oppression when it comes to treatment of gay people, what with the systemic kidnapping and torture of young gay men over the last couple of years.