Main Menu

Rik Mayall RIP

Started by Sheilbh, June 09, 2014, 10:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2014, 10:09:14 AM
:(
Rik Mayall dead: Comedian and actor dies aged 56

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/rik-mayall-dead-comedian-and-actor-dies-aged-56-9515603.html

I must confess that I've never heard of him.  I direct my condolences to those who have.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

The Young Ones was one of those shows that stuck with me throughout my young life. When it came out I was 10 years old and I laughed at the sight gags, hippie punching, and general outrageousness of it; then as I grew up I understood more and more of the jokes. It's a great show. Sadly, most of his other work hasn't reached Spain.

Sad to see him go.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2014, 10:17:49 AM
Lord Flashheart  :(
Ah.  Looks a bit different without the wig and burns!  :lol:

Well, that was an awful part, but he did his best in it.  RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Didn't realise he was ill. Shame. :(
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Damn that really sucks, one of the comedy greats :(

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 09, 2014, 10:21:51 AM
The Young Ones was one of those shows that stuck with me throughout my young life. When it came out I was 10 years old and I laughed at the sight gags, hippie punching, and general outrageousness of it; then as I grew up I understood more and more of the jokes. It's a great show. Sadly, most of his other work hasn't reached Spain.

Sad to see him go.

Ditto.

Let's all listen to Cliff Richard's The Young Ones in his honour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JKtHcM05Dk

Sheilbh

His autobiography:

:lol:

I also love this story from Caitlin Moran, 'my brother once met Rik Mayall on the street. "Can I shake your hand dude?" he asked. Rik shook it. "Now give me a fiver," he said.'

And this video of him listening to a speech and realising someone's filming him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1cUTJE1Ac
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
Didn't realise he was ill. Shame. :(

Just a sudden death apparently.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Not sure if the Times did it deliberately, but this is brilliant:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

So very sad. I consider The Young Ones and Bottom to be formative influences. :(

QuoteStill worshiping God, Melchie? Last I heard, he was worshiping me.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA