And we're back!

Main Menu

Holy shit - Futurama's back!

Started by Barrister, June 09, 2009, 10:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote'Futurama' given a new future on Comedy Central
04:37 PM PT, Jun 9 2009

Death isn't what it used to be for animated TV shows.

Comedy Central has struck a deal with Twentieth Century Fox Television to air 26 new episodes of "Futurama," the animated comedy from "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening that was canceled by the Fox network in 2003 after a four-season run. The first new half-hour episode of the comedy about a 20th century pizza delivery boy who wakes up in the 30th century will air in mid-2010.

Its rebirth mirrors that of fellow Twentieth animated series "Family Guy," which was canceled by Fox in 2002 and then revived by the network in 2005 after proving a major hit on DVD and in cable.

"Futurama" has enjoyed similar success, initially on reruns on Carton Network's Adult Swim from 2003 until the end of 2007, then on Comedy Central starting last year.

In addition, Twentieth Century Fox produced four straight-to-DVD "Futurama" movies last year, all of which aired on the cable network.

Comedy Central may not be the only home for the second life of "Futurama." Twentieth's deal with the cable network gives it the rights to sell the newly produced episodes to a broadcast network as well -- given the series' history and the networks' corporate ties to the studio, Fox would be the most likely candidate.

Revivals of canceled series are extremely rare and, as evidenced by the fate of "Jericho" on CBS last year, usually don't result in better ratings. But for animated comedies with a devoted core of young male viewers who devour reruns on cable and online, death is turning out to be a temporary state of affairs.

Because they don't take much time from the actors who do voice-over work, it's also much easier to bring back cast members who might have moved on to other projects.

--Ben Fritz

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/06/futurama-revived-by-comedy-central.html

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

And I don't even need to change my avatar to celebrate!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Weatherman

Faeelin

Bender Bending Rodriguez is back, baby!

Habbaku

I'm skeptical.  Have to wait and see which writers they sign on.  The movies weren't that great.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on June 09, 2009, 10:45:48 PM
I'm skeptical.  Have to wait and see which writers they sign on.  The movies weren't that great.

They were pretty hit and miss weren't they?  Some were funny some were just kinda lame.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

The series went seriously downhill with their last season. Let's hope this revival is successful.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Palisadoes

Yeah I agree, it depends on who the writers will be. Same as the Simpsons, really.

Family Guy has gone a bit downhill lately too as it is just serving to be a mouthpiece for Seth MacFarlane's political views.

Valmy

Mediocre Futurama is better than most of the other stuff out there on TV.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

If only Vinraith were here to join the celebrations. :(
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 10, 2009, 10:36:18 AM
If only Vinraith were here to join the celebrations. :(
What happened to him?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 10, 2009, 10:53:19 AM

What happened to him?

Choked on his own bile after seeing Terminator Salvation.  :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

I heard he found another forum that was gentler and more accepting of his alternative lifestyle.
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

I thought the quality was about the same as the tv show. Me, I'd have preferred if it kept being straight to dvd movies. New business models need to be embraced when they work, not abandoned for the relic called network TV.
:p