News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kneel before GOG

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 07, 2014, 05:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

SHould I get Populous Beginnings and some other game from GOG?
PDH!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 07, 2014, 05:42:13 PM
SHould I get Populous Beginnings and some other game from GOG?

You should buy that and as many other titles as you can to keep this gem of a company in business.

KRonn

I just bought Conquest of the New World Deluxe from GOG. Simple game, an oldie that I used to like a lot. I've gotten a few more games from them in the past. I might get the original Colonization as I like that in how you can play after the time limits, after Independence. Plus some other oldies that are good. I was also considering Populous.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: KRonn on April 22, 2014, 08:39:22 AM
I just bought Conquest of the New World Deluxe from GOG. Simple game, an oldie that I used to like a lot. I've gotten a few more games from them in the past. I might get the original Colonization as I like that in how you can play after the time limits, after Independence. Plus some other oldies that are good. I was also considering Populous.
My first two games I bought from them were Conquest of the New World and Colonization. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

I just bought Conquest of the New World Deluxe from GOG. Simple game, an oldie that I used to like a lot.

The most memorable bit of that game, for me, was that you got to name the geographic features your explorers discovered.  That was such a simple concept, but added so much flavor to the game.  It's one of those design decisions you just have to look on with awe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 25, 2014, 10:31:47 AM
I just bought Conquest of the New World Deluxe from GOG. Simple game, an oldie that I used to like a lot.

The most memorable bit of that game, for me, was that you got to name the geographic features your explorers discovered.  That was such a simple concept, but added so much flavor to the game.  It's one of those design decisions you just have to look on with awe.

That is a nice touch. I also used to love the simple checkerboard type combat too.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on April 25, 2014, 12:10:55 PM
That is a nice touch. I also used to love the simple checkerboard type combat too.

When I first read the combat rules, I was very disappointed.  When I played it, though, I found it one of the highlights of the game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

I bought Panzer General II from GOG. An oldie but a fun game. To make it run I had to set compatibility to Win XP SP2, and check off all the boxes on the compatibility screen. (Run in 256 colors, 640x480 screen res, disable visual themes, desktop comp, display scaling.) Runs fine on Win 7 like that but had some issues before I set those.

Jaron

Conquest of the New World was the first game I bought from Gog. :hmm:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2014, 12:28:36 PM
I bought Panzer General II from GOG. An oldie but a fun game. To make it run I had to set compatibility to Win XP SP2, and check off all the boxes on the compatibility screen. (Run in 256 colors, 640x480 screen res, disable visual themes, desktop comp, display scaling.) Runs fine on Win 7 like that but had some issues before I set those.

There's lots of mods and extra campaigns on this one, if you feel it's too easy. There's even an open source version of it http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengeneral/

KRonn

Thanks for the info on PG2 mods Duque!