News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How book biz dug its own Amazon grave

Started by jimmy olsen, June 01, 2014, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on June 02, 2014, 05:02:18 PM
I'm not 100% sure what he's whining about.
I think it is: "Things used to be better. Freeer." Don't see how.
PDH!

celedhring

Wow, that article is phenomenally bitter.

I collaborate with the marketing department of a pretty big Spanish publisher (I write copy for their campaigns), they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 02, 2014, 11:56:56 AM
But suppose you're a niche author like Monc E. Butt, hoping to sell 150 copies to friends and Languishites at a buck a piece, that just wiped out your entire gross.

Even after wiping, it will still be plenty gross.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2014, 01:35:13 PM
The upshot of this is that other than rarities, specific niche titles, the vast majority of books are now worthless, there only remaining value is the actual written contents or maybe the emotional attachment you have to them.  :cool:

Most second hand books have always had near zero market value as anyone who ever attended a tag sale could notice.  What has changed is the ability for buyers to find matching seller - which is now fast, convenient and virtually costless.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2014, 10:30:03 AM
Most second hand books have always had near zero market value as anyone who ever attended a tag sale could notice.  What has changed is the ability for buyers to find matching seller - which is now fast, convenient and virtually costless.

Half Price books became the 5th-largest bookstore chain in the US on top of used books (and other stuff, but mostly books).

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2014, 10:30:03 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2014, 01:35:13 PM
The upshot of this is that other than rarities, specific niche titles, the vast majority of books are now worthless, there only remaining value is the actual written contents or maybe the emotional attachment you have to them.  :cool:

Undoubtably, but I think a this new Internet driven market is significantly increasing the percent of 2nd hand titles that are 'worthless'.

Not that I'm complaining as I pick up lots of books on amazon for a penny.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"