And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 16, 2014, 07:18:47 PM
The look on Brooks' face when he scored was priceless. :cry:

Aye, that's what the World Cup is about.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 16, 2014, 07:18:47 PM
The look on Brooks' face when he scored was priceless. :cry:

It was glorious. I tend to root for underdogs, so the US was my team tonight. I picked Ghana in the pool, though.

Seeing passion like that, it's what it's all about. Sports can be intellectualised, analysed and explained, but the basic behind most is just feelings.

dps

Glad about the result, but the USA side sure doesn't look like it's well-prepared for tropical conditions.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Not a good world cup for the Africans.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

I will take this - my team getting a crucial win when they played poorly (horrible possession), gutting out the late corner and two subs hooking up for the winner...priceless.

This three points was vital.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

I will repeat this; possession means nothing unless it's turned into goals. When you're 1-0 or 2-0 up, you'll want possession. Until then, it means little until you score.

Admiral Yi

Don't know about the other guys, but I'm not talking about meaningless ballroom dancing at the center stripe; I'm talking about not gifting the ball to the other team.

Eddie Teach

On the one hand, I'm glad the US won. On the other hand, now I have to watch the games against Portugal and Germany.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on June 16, 2014, 07:39:04 PM
I will repeat this; possession means nothing unless it's turned into goals. When you're 1-0 or 2-0 up, you'll want possession. Until then, it means little until you score.

My big problem was the lazy passes and people not holding onto the ball.  The US under Klinsmann has tried to score the second goal, and tonight there was problems in midfield just connecting.  As Dempsey said it made the US run more.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2014, 07:02:40 PM
Very lucky result.  I saw about five very good chances for Ghana in the 2nd half.

Ghana is a quality side and has knocked us out of the last two world cups. We just beat them. Maybe Italy and England and Brazil etc. can be judged based on style when beating decent opponents in the World Cup, but we aren't there yet. I'll take the W.

Going into the World Cup, there seems to be three categories we could fall into (at least after we knew who our group was):

Disaster: 0-1 points, unable to beat anyone.
Expectations: 3 points, most likely beating Ghana and losing to Portugal and Germany.
Miraculous: We advance out of the group stage.

Whatever else happens, we just met expectations, and are as well positioned as we can be to get out of the group.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Who said anything about style?  :huh:

alfred russel

The US was the favorite in this game, and I noticed in the pool that as many people picked Ghana as the US. In particular, I think dps should report for deportation, and for picking a draw funkmonk is on the watchlist.  :P

Also, it seems Viking picked a hell of a time to not pick the favorite to win the game.  :yeah:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 16, 2014, 07:01:51 PM
Lol, 10 minutes ago, I was like Fuck this silly ass sport.  5 minutes later, USA USA USA

Typical. You call them Eurofags one minute and switch sides faster than Italy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive