Come, and take me by the hand - Streets of London 1876

Started by Syt, August 01, 2013, 03:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And a follow up, more for RH and Brazen who may remember those days - the Underground in the 70s/80s:

http://www.retronaut.com/2013/08/london-undergound/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2013, 03:34:24 AM
And a follow up, more for RH and Brazen who may remember those days - the Underground in the 70s/80s:

Just found this on a trawl for something else London-related  :lol: :bowler:

Ah yes, it was all clowns and punks in those days. Smoking on the Tube seems unfathomable now, but I remember smokers rushing to get up the right end for the smoking carriages. Can't remember if you could smoke on the platform too. I presume so as the Kings Cross fire was started by someone dropping smoking materials on the wooden escalator.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2013, 03:34:24 AM

Brazen doesn't remember the 80s. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Is that cowboy the same guy that stands at Speakers' Corner and tells everyone they're going to hell?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on June 02, 2014, 11:25:05 AM
Is that cowboy the same guy that stands at Speakers' Corner and tells everyone they're going to hell?

I once visited my brother's college and they had a idiot guy like that outside the student union.

"You girls are whores that are going to hell!"

I thought, unfortunate the students have to hear this.

"Actually, you girls are lower than whores. At least whores get paid. You just give it away for free."

Okay, that was funny.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

But wouldn't that make it more altruistic, therefore better? :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2014, 04:16:17 PM
But wouldn't that make it more altruistic, therefore better? :hmm:

Pretty sure God thinks Jesus is lower than a loaves and fishes whore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."