Three dead in attack on Jewish museum in Brussels

Started by Syt, May 24, 2014, 11:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 25, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
You need to add the extra space at the end of the sentence before the question mark for the full Mongers effect.

How French of him...  :hmm:

Viking

how is the coverage of this comparing with the two boys caught on camera getting shot at the prison in the west bank?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Quote from: Viking on May 26, 2014, 07:17:48 AM
how is the coverage of this comparing with the two boys caught on camera getting shot at the prison in the west bank?

Here it has been infinitely more covered.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Is going to a museum in Belgum now about as dangerous as going to a riot in the West Bank?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2014, 08:54:06 AM

Is going to a museum in Belgum now about as dangerous as going to a riot in the West Bank?  :hmm:

I was almost hit by a car going way past the speed limit when I was in that area of Brussels. Turns out the the Secret Service can do whatever they want when there's a president coming to visit.

Thanks Obama.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

dunno, how many people go to museums in belgium vs rioting on the west bank?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on May 25, 2014, 07:34:17 PM
Hey, Le Grodnard, stop putting words in my mouth that I have not said.
You said
Quote from: Siege on May 25, 2014, 06:53:08 PM
Nobody cares anymore.

if you actually did care, that would make your claim that no one cared a lie.

Yeah, I know, you were engaging in emo hyperbole, but we don't let Timmy get away with that, so why should we let you?

QuoteI was expressing my frustration with the quiet indifference for anti-Semitism.
The moment people don't care anymore, is the moment it happens again.

Actually, it happens all the time, even when people care.  It's just like any other form of racism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

think it's four people dead.

That's what my paper is saying
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 26, 2014, 09:46:28 AM
think it's four people dead.

That's what my paper is saying

Yeah the 4th is now dead. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

hardly, though if I was a jew I'd not go to significant parts of Brussels, or Marrakech-on-the-Zenne as it is sometimes called.

Duque de Bragança

Back in 2007, some parts of Brussels did look like Barbès-Rochechouart in Paris or the 10. Bezirk in Vienna.

Crazy_Ivan80

well look at that: seems they actually managed to capture a suspect.

derspiess

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 27, 2014, 11:45:37 AM

Is there any info available on him?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2014, 11:56:48 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 27, 2014, 11:45:37 AM

Is there any info available on him?

Perhaps his father has been an assistant director on a popular film....

:D

Sheilbh

Via Jeffrey Goldberg, 'Amir Oren is trying to tell us something, within the confines of censorship rules, about the victims in Brussels':
QuoteThe Brussels mystery: Was shooting anti-Semitism or part of spy games?
Considering how professional the shooter looked on footage, and the fact two of those killed were former Israeli civil servants, maybe the attack was actually a battle in the covert war.
By Amir Oren    | May 27, 2014 | 2:00 AM |   13

There was no practical reason for a hostile state like Iran or an enemy organization like Hezbollah to try and harm either Emanuel or Mira Riva – both former civil servants – at the Jewish Museum in Brussels. Both were accountants who were employed separately by government bodies. They had no substantive connection to the core issues of either Iran or Hezbollah; their tools were numbers and computers, not cloaks and daggers.

Emanuel Riva came to Nativ, the liaison office for Jews from the former Soviet Union, from the Finance Ministry, where he met members of the security and intelligence community and the foreign service, and was in contact with senior government officials. Afterward, Mira was also hired by a government agency. There, and also when she was stationed at one of the agency's missions in Europe, her post was solely administrative.

She wasn't Mata Hari, or Sylvia Raphael, or Cindy of the Mordechai Vanunu affair. Even in Golani, after all, there is a crucial difference between the commander of the reconnaissance force and the unit's paymaster.

Still, it's possible that the murder in Brussels was not a hate crime or an anti-Semitic attack, but a targeted assault. This possibility is strengthened by the video of the killer's actions. He was caught by the cameras looking like a professional, as if this was a settling of scores. Not the assassination of accountants, but a battle in a covert war, though perhaps there was a misidentification of the intended victims.

After all, such things have happened to organizations far more sophisticated than Iran and Hezbollah – like the Mossad, for instance, in its mistaken killing of Moroccan waiter Ahmed Bushiki in Lillehammer, Norway in 1973. Bushiki apparently looked to those tracking him like the double of Black September leader Ali Hassan Salameh. At the time, Brussels was one of the way stations in the Mossad's bloody campaign against the various PLO factions throughout Europe. Tzadok Ofir, who controlled several agents, was seriously wounded there in an ambush by an Arab source who betrayed him.

Israel has double representation in Brussels – its embassy for Belgium, and its embassy to the European Union and NATO. In recent years, Brussels has been one of the most important postings in the foreign service, second only to Washington, and some of Israel's top diplomats – including Ephraim Halevy (before he was appointed Mossad head) – were posted there.

Senior Israeli representatives are closely guarded by the Belgian authorities. Even a short trip with them to the local Foreign Ministry is a whole security operation.

Brussels is both a very international city and a very Muslim one. The headquarters of NATO, with its 28 member states and more than a dozen partners and observers, is located in one of its suburbs.

In the downtown area lies one of the centers of the European Union (which migrates periodically to Strasbourg). Bus No. 12 from the airport, which passes the NATO command center, full of officials from Europe and North America, continues downtown to the EU offices through neighborhoods that are clearly dominated by North Africans and others, with veiled women seen in the streets, stores and restaurants.

It's easy to hide in this Arabic-European capital with diplomatic mail and passports from various countries and its supportive environment, which conceals and whisks you away.

Databases compromised in recent years (see Edward Snowden) – both those that have been published and those that have not – included tens of thousands of names, some with similar and erroneous spellings. They are liable to help evildoers track targets, correct or mistaken, and attack them, either as part of a plan or on an improvised basis, because the victims met acquaintances or colleagues who were in the trackers' sights.

There's been a bit more open reporting outside Israel that the woman was, reportedly, an accountant for Mossad in Europe based in Berlin. As he hints this could be a Hezbollah hit.

I only recently saw the video the Belgian police released (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNN200AMq0 ) and to my untrained eye you can see why people are saying it looks professional.
Let's bomb Russia!