News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CM Red Thunder

Started by 11B4V, May 20, 2014, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Could find my old CM thread.

Messing around with Red Thunder tut campaign.

T34/85's pause during the counter attack waiting for a friendly barrage to lift.

One of my SMG squads low and slow rooting out the Fascist Hitlerites.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2014, 07:19:07 PM
T34/85's pause during the counter attack waiting for a friendly barrage to lift.

So unrealistic, considering the Sovs didn't always wait for the friendly barrage to lift.  :lol:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2014, 07:24:53 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2014, 07:19:07 PM

So unrealistic, considering the Sovs didn't always wait for the friendly barrage to lift.  :lol:

:( I cant help myself. I maneuver the Russians using western style tactics, instead of hey diddle diddle straight up the middle.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

The Party disapproves.  :dontturnaroundohohoh:

Razgovory

They released a demo the other day.  It's not bad.  Played one scenario where you take a small bridge near a forest.  I actually won the battle with only one tank lost (to a mine).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2014, 11:29:13 PM
They released a demo the other day.  It's not bad.  Played one scenario where you take a small bridge near a forest.  I actually won the battle with only one tank lost (to a mine).

I seen that on their site yesterday. My only bitch it's a little light on the scenarios and campaigns.

It will take awhile for the better scenario designers to get into the swing of things.

Razgovory

What annoys me is that almost all the missions are designed to be difficult, typically by giving you less soldiers and equipment then would typically be allocated for capturing an objective.  In real life you'd pound the shit out of anything that looked like it might have someone defending it and then throw 3-4 times as much infantry as the enemy has at the target.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
What annoys me is that almost all the missions are designed to be difficult, typically by giving you less soldiers and equipment then would typically be allocated for capturing an objective. 

I have found this as well. The last mission of the tutorial camp; I had a rifle company with (six squads, 1 MG platoon w/ two MG's, medium Mortar platoon), and a T34/85 platoon against a German infantry company with armor support defending a village. Reenforcements were a SMG platoon, three JS-II, two SU152.

Most likely all in the name of balance. Which has it's place for sure, but muddy's the overall situation. Some of the best scenarios/campaigns, I've played from CMBB to CMRT, have been third party scenarios (i.e GeorgeMC and JasonC).

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2014, 08:04:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
What annoys me is that almost all the missions are designed to be difficult, typically by giving you less soldiers and equipment then would typically be allocated for capturing an objective. 

I have found this as well. The last mission of the tutorial camp; I had a rifle company with (six squads, 1 MG platoon w/ two MG's, medium Mortar platoon), and a T34/85 platoon against a German infantry company with armor support defending a village. Reenforcements were a SMG platoon, three JS-II, two SU152.

Most likely all in the name of balance. Which has it's place for sure, but muddy's the overall situation. Some of the best scenarios/campaigns, I've played from CMBB to CMRT, have been third party scenarios (i.e GeorgeMC and JasonC).

In fairness you have significant advantages that no one in WWII had.  You have a perfect map and perfect knowledge of the terrain and your soldiers will move to the exact spot you want them to at all times except when they are suffering from some morale problem (or are dead).  Commander now don't have that.  Still when I was playing the scenario with bridge I wanted arty to plaster the small farm next to the road, blast the river bank into bits and the have chem mortars drop smoke everywhere.  It was an obvious enfilade situation with a column coming out of the woods to a clearing and river crossing.  Of course, that might just be how the US army would have handled it.  I don't know about the Reds, they might have thrown a penal battalion at it.

Razgovory

Hey, 11b4whatever, I got a question you might know the answer too.  The SU series of assault guns, were they ever used as indirect fire artillery?  The SU 76 looks like it could but many of the other vehicles look ill suited for such work such as SU-152 and SU-122.  They don't look like the gun can elevate sufficiently.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2014, 11:47:11 PM
Hey, 11b4whatever, I got a question you might know the answer too.  The SU series of assault guns, were they ever used as indirect fire artillery?  The SU 76 looks like it could but many of the other vehicles look ill suited for such work such as SU-152 and SU-122.  They don't look like the gun can elevate sufficiently.

SU 76 yes. The other two no.

Razgovory

Okay, I wondered about that.  I played a war game where you could use Su-152s like a howitzer (it was Panzer Corps), and I didn't think that was right.