Germany Top Migration Land After U.S. in New OECD Ranking

Started by Syt, May 20, 2014, 03:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveracher

Quote from: Iormlund on May 21, 2014, 09:11:00 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 20, 2014, 11:59:08 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 20, 2014, 11:49:31 PM
I wouldn't assume all those immigrants are going to stay there long enough to help pay German pensions. It's very likely I'll end up in Kassel in a year or so, but I see that assignment as a stepping stone, as do most of the Spaniards already there.

Kassel? Poor of you. Since it's Kassel, the year or two assignment seen only as a stepping stone makes sense indeed. :)

:lol:
For some reason no auto manufacturer builds factories in Ibiza, the Bahamas or Tahiti.   :(
Though I'd settle for Berlin.

I visited the BMW plant in Regensburg a couple weeks ago, seemed like a fine place to work and live.
Birdman of Burlington

dps

Quote from: daveracher on May 21, 2014, 12:15:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 20, 2014, 11:59:08 PM
I wouldn't assume all those immigrants are going to stay there long enough to help pay German pensions. It's very likely I'll end up in Kassel in a year or so, but I see that assignment as a stepping stone, as do most of the Spaniards already there.

Kassel? Poor of you. Since it's Kassel, the year or two assignment seen only as a stepping stone makes sense indeed. :)

For some reason no auto manufacturer builds factories in Ibiza, the Bahamas or Tahiti.   :(

I visited the BMW plant in Regensburg a couple weeks ago, seemed like a fine place to work and live.

Don't think I'd actually like to live in any automotive factory, no matter how nice it might be to work there.   :D

Ideologue

When I was in Atlanta, I passed the Ford (I believe it was Ford) plant.

It was a truly impressive structure.  It's a real shame the country's not full of such wonders any more.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 07:19:11 PM

It was a truly impressive structure.  It's a real shame the country's not full of such wonders any more.

The ex-GM plant in Moraine is gonna be filled with chinamen. Who I assume will be spying on Wright Patterson AFB.

Auto Glass manufacturing makes for a nice cover.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

My favorite Burger King is right across the street from the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant, which is where Ford makes the F-250 thru F-550, as well as the Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.  I gaze upon it in wonder every time I chow down on a Whopper or Original Chicken Sandwich. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on May 21, 2014, 03:30:11 AM
Maybe it is different this time, but there has been continuous net immigration to Germany for several decades now and while of course people emigrated again, the number that arrived was higher than the number that departed for almost every year since about 1950.

And the beauty of a pay-as-you-go pension system is that immigrants that come to work now are immediately paying pensions. Even if they leave later, nothing is lost for Germany's social system.

Indeed. Having a revolving door of people from elsewhere in the eu, dedicating a few years of their productive working life and then leaving before taking much from the system, is a net gain actually.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2014, 08:03:24 PM

My favorite Burger King is right across the street from the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant, which is where Ford makes the F-250 thru F-550, as well as the Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.  I gaze upon it in wonder every time I chow down on a Whopper or Original Chicken Sandwich. :)
I take back all I said about your perverted eating habits. :hug:

Zanza

Quote from: dps on May 21, 2014, 07:13:49 PM
Don't think I'd actually like to live in any automotive factory, no matter how nice it might be to work there.   :D
The Volkswagen plant in Dresden doesn't look too bad.

Zanza

Mercedes has an engine plant and a van plant near Berlin (25 and 45 minutes by car from the city center).

The Mercedes and Porsche plants in Stuttgart and the BMW plant in Munich and the Ford plant in Cologne are also in fairly big cities that you can live in quite well.

Iormlund

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 11:33:36 AM

Have you tried...Mexico?

We actually have a project there scheduled for Q4 or early 2015. It's in Puebla though, not the Mayan Riviera.  :(

To be honest, none of us are eager to be there.

Or even Stuttgart. Wolfsburg does not rate that high but I don't think it is as bad as Kassel.

Quote from: Zanza on May 21, 2014, 10:48:42 PM
Mercedes has an engine plant and a van plant near Berlin (25 and 45 minutes by car from the city center).

The Mercedes and Porsche plants in Stuttgart and the BMW plant in Munich and the Ford plant in Cologne are also in fairly big cities that you can live in quite well.

I'm not likely to find a job there, or Berlin. At least not now. The reason Kassel is a probable destination is my current employer is located there.

It seems silly to draw any long term plans, especially since the Spanish export sector seems to be experiencing a sort-of boom right now*. It very well may be that I'll be still here (or back here) in five years. But if I finally manage to get sent up north my idea is to spend that time re-learning German and getting an idea of what living in the country is like. Then, with contacts in place and substantial automotive experience, I'll weight my options.

* It still sucks for pretty much everybody else, but things in my field have been going "strong" for six months or so. I'm actually making more money than I did at my last job. And I've got better work conditions and good advancement opportunities.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 22, 2014, 10:39:13 AM
We actually have a project there scheduled for Q4 or early 2015. It's in Puebla though, not the Mayan Riviera.  :(

Any particular reason?  Mexico seems nice enough but I always feel awkward being a hated gringo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2014, 10:40:39 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 22, 2014, 10:39:13 AM

Any particular reason?  Mexico seems nice enough but I always feel awkward being a hated gringo.

Crime, poverty, crime, dismal sanitation, ¿did I mention crime?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

If it makes you feel better vigilante gangs are cleaning up the streets to the extent that Nieto is going to deputize them all.  Crime problem: solved!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."