News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Thailand MiniThread

Started by alfred russel, May 20, 2014, 09:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Thailand needs a Sulla to proscribe both the optimates (yellow shirts) and the populares (red shirts)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Sheilbh, the problem with your article is that the leaders of the red shirts are also absurdly wealthy. Corruption is rather rife in the country--I don't know how much to allocate, but some portion of the true wealth is due to factors other than "capitalism".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on May 20, 2014, 06:35:26 PM
Thailand needs a Sulla to proscribe both the optimates (yellow shirts) and the populares (red shirts)

I am uninterested in saving a nation of ladyboys.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

The video's more interesting than the article, but that's how I got there.

But I don't think the point of the article is to say red shirts = the poor and yellow shirts = the rich. I mean hell even one of the yellow shirt kids in the video shows that much self-awareness, sad that Thailand is a country where you need connections above all.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2014, 08:15:08 PM
The video's more interesting than the article, but that's how I got there.

But I don't think the point of the article is to say red shirts = the poor and yellow shirts = the rich. I mean hell even one of the yellow shirt kids in the video shows that much self-awareness, sad that Thailand is a country where you need connections above all.

I just watched the video. Yeah, the one guy saying that connections were everything, and giving the example of how he got his own education, and then saying that is why the country is failing was interesting.

The situation with the king is sort of weird. My impression is that he controls just an obscene amount of wealth that includes some of the biggest businesses in Thailand. But any investigating or questioning this stuff is way off limits.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on May 20, 2014, 06:09:01 PM
Will people vacation next to charred bodies?

This crap has been going on a long time, but I think absent a major escalation the answer is yes.

Mono posted a good point years ago. A major part of what makes Thailand such an attractive destination is its price point. The price point is low because the country is politically unstable leading to rampant corruption and a less than functional economy. Basically, so long as this stuff doesn't spiral out of control, it is in the interest of international tourists.

Crazy_Ivan80

seems teh army has gone for a coup