News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habsburg

How about Timmah is our anchor, and Sheilbh is our senior international correspondent?1!?  :w00t:

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on June 17, 2009, 08:57:18 PM
How about Timmah is our anchor, and Sheilbh is our senior international correspondent?1!?  :w00t:
You and Buddha can review films ala Siskel and Ebert.  Dan Cook can do weather.  katmai is the roving man on the street reporter.  Joan Robinson can do a business segment.  Malthus does law.  Sav gets culture and Berkut can do sports.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Viking

http://www.janhoo.com/blog/2009/06/help-shut-down-ahmadinejads-website.html

QuoteHelp Shut Down Ahmadinejad's Website
I am currently supporting the efforts to shut down Ahmadinejad's website. The efforts are currently proving successful, and I have not been able to load Iran's state-run media web site so far today.

To help, simply visit pagereboot.com. Then type in the Ahmadinejad's website http://www.irib.ir/ and set it to reload once per second. Personally I am leaving a browser window open to reload this page 24 hours a day (that is 86,400 loads per day!).

According to CNN.com, Iran is doing is best to shut down pagereboot.com, but hopefully Ahmadinejad and his thugs will not be successful.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, additional websites to shut down include President Ahmadinejad's blog ahmadinejad.ir, the Justice Ministry's justice.ir, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' mfa.gov.ir. I have opened separate reload tabs for these websites, and currently all of them seem to be down.

I also want to applaud the efforts of several netizens to allow Iranians free access to the Internet through proxies.

I feel cleaner now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

:lol:

That page already has one of the longest loading times I've seen since 56K.  I don't think I need to do any more.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jaron

So, am I the only one who has stopped caring? :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Jaron please refrain from using X-rated Avatars!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

The Brain

Quote from: Jaron on June 17, 2009, 10:34:10 PM

I posted that I had stopped caring many many pages ago. Can't you fucking read?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2009, 04:09:18 AM
Quote from: Jaron on June 17, 2009, 10:34:10 PM

I posted that I had stopped caring many many pages ago. Can't you fucking read?

Well he is a product of California's education system.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2009, 12:44:15 PM
:)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/17/2600571.htm

QuoteI've just been witnessing a confrontation, in dusk and into the night, between about 15,000 supporters of Ahmadinejad - supposedly the president of Iran - who are desperate to down the supporters of Mr Mousavi, who thinks he should be the president of Iran.

There were about 10,000 Mousavi men and women on the streets, with approximately 500 Iranian special forces, trying to keep them apart.

It was interesting that the special forces - who normally take the side of Ahmadinejad's Basij militia - were there with clubs and sticks in their camouflage trousers and their purity white shirts and on this occasion the Iranian military kept them away from Mousavi's men and women.

In fact at one point, Mousavi's supporters were shouting 'thank you, thank you' to the soldiers.

One woman went up to the special forces men, who normally are very brutal with Mr Mousavi's supporters, and said 'can you protect us from the Basij?' He said 'with God's help'.

It was quite extraordinary because it looked as if the military authorities in Tehran have either taken a decision not to go on supporting the very brutal militia - which is always associated with the presidency here - or individual soldiers have made up their own mind that they're tired of being associated with the kind of brutality that left seven dead yesterday - buried, by the way secretly by the police - and indeed the seven or eight students who were killed on the university campus 24 hours earlier.

Quite a lot of policeman are beginning to smile towards the demonstrators of Mr Mousavi, who are insisting there must be a new election because Mr Ahmadinejad wasn't really elected. Quite an extraordinary scene.

There were a lot of stones thrown and quite a lot of bitter fighting, hand-to-hand but at the end of the day the special forces did keep them apart.

I haven't ever seen the Iranian security authorities behaving fairly before and it's quite impressive.
I'll say again. This has become a revolution in Iran, above and beyond anything to do with the election. The election tampering really just was the catalyst that got this all moving, gave reason and motivation to people's pent up frustrations, and who had for a while been ready to demand change.

Neil

The problem is that what the people of Iran want is war with Israel and instability in the Middle East.  The West should turn all its support to the Iranian government, and allow them to resolve the matter by any means necessary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.