Cue the Freakout: 'Coffee Rust' Hitting Hard

Started by 11B4V, May 19, 2014, 02:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

:mad: Fuck gobal warming, the Ukraine, Al-Qaeda, immigration reform, the national debt, gay marriage. This needs to be top priority.

Cue the Freakout: 'Coffee Rust' Hitting Hard
$1B in damages so far, as US gets in on fungus fight

(Newser) – There is a fungus among us, and this little devil is threatening to mess with your morning joe: Dubbed "coffee rust," the fungus has wrought some $1 billion in damage to the Latin American coffee industry, and as the AP reports, could drag production down by 15% to 40%, cost a half-million jobs, and jack the price of your caffeine fix. So Uncle Sam, bless his soul, is stepping in tomorrow via a $5 million USAID partnership with Texas A&M's World Coffee Research center aimed squarely at eradicating the fungus. But Washington isn't exactly acting with your best interests at heart: The theory goes that if coffee farmers are hit hard by blight, poverty and hunger could spike in the region—leading to a spike in the drug trade.

And the coffee rust—which is especially deadly to arabica coffee, the bean in most higher-end coffees—doesn't look like it's going to magically go away. "We don't see an end in sight anytime soon," says a Texas A&M researcher. While most coffee companies have been able to thus far find enough supply, a rep for the Specialty Coffee Association of America says the worst case is one in which we pay "extraordinarily high prices for those coffees, if you can find them at all." Coffee companies themselves are getting in on the fight, notes the AP, and Starbucks has even bought a research farm in Costa Rica.

http://www.newser.com/story/187059/cue-the-freakout-coffee-rust-hits-producers-hard.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Drink tea like a civilized person instead. :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on May 19, 2014, 02:42:48 AM

I'm the second generation standing upright. Fuck your tea.  :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on May 19, 2014, 02:45:16 AM

Your parents were the first in your family to climb down from the trees?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 19, 2014, 02:47:19 AM

That doesn't surprise me at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

:lol:

You know, you're alright.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 19, 2014, 02:47:19 AM

At least he knows who his parents are....
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Prices are still stable for the coffee products I consume, so no problem here yet.

CountDeMoney

Shit coffee will always be shit coffee, Phil.

Valmy

The best part of waking up is shit coffee in your cup.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Where will Ed Anger now get the coffee cans to burying his money in? 

Maybe they'll just sell him empty cans at the old price? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on May 19, 2014, 08:24:40 AM
Prices are still stable for the coffee products I consume, so no problem here yet.

Same here, still zero.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: 11B4V on May 19, 2014, 02:40:47 AM
:mad: Fuck gobal warming, the Ukraine, Al-Qaeda, immigration reform, the national debt, gay marriage. This needs to be top priority.

Don't worry, we have out top Aggies on it.  At least we will, after we get them off their cows.