Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on May 15, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
So that's a no .... ?

It's not universally agreed if viruses are even alive.  How viruses came about is one of the great mysteries of biology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Fate on May 16, 2014, 02:30:10 AM

Cool, but it's one patient... so who knows. Get excited when there's a randomized control trial showing this technique to be effective. As it stands this article was published prematurely. But I guess science writers need to make a paycheck somehow.

Yeah, these sort of things rarely are directly going to end up as true "cures" themselves, but they help expand our knowledge which is always good for going down the path towards more and more robust treatment options. It's like that girl who had rabies, and her doctor put her into a drug induced coma and I believe pumped a bunch of other stuff into her to keep her stabilized for awhile...and basically it allowed the rabies to run its course but without shredding her brain and killing her as rabies normally does. While it was an interesting case study, and has been replicated in a few instances, most cases where other doctors have tried it the patients have died.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.