And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice for a new PC

Started by Solmyr, May 04, 2014, 10:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on May 21, 2014, 10:51:56 PM
I prefer method #4 - pay someone to do it.   :blush:
I tried that last week.  I was charged 70$ and told I need to format my drive and reinstall Windows.  Veeeryy useful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

I need a new machine.

AMD.
Lot's of fast ram, SSD, decent (not expensive) video, dual video cards.

Idears?
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 04, 2014, 08:49:03 PM
I need a new machine.

AMD.
Lot's of fast ram, SSD, decent (not expensive) video, dual video cards.

Idears?
RAM:
16 gb should be plenty enough for now. I have this kit here, but I heard G-Skill has some interesting models too.  Just make sure it's DDR3 1866mhz, it will leave you some room for overclocking.

CPU:   
AMD FX-8320 or higher (9370 and 9590 are the two latest models and they are very pricey for the performance you have, I don't recommend it for now).

Motherboard:
If you plan on doing some serious overclocking, go for Asus Sabertooth 990FX v2.0.  Otherwise, most 990FX boards will offer similar performance, at better price, but they will have reduced overclocking capacities/easyness.

Video card:
Radeon R9 270x would be decent (north of 200$).  Ideally, 280x (north of 300$).  I personally don't see the need for dual video cards unless you have more than one monitor for gaming?

SSD:
Samsung 850Pro or OCZ Vector 256gb, for both.  OCZ Vertex 4 is still a good SSD, but it's over a year old, so it will most likely not receive any future firmware updates.  Depends on the price you find :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

The G-Skill sticks are the best ones I have had. Far easier to get to work properly than Corsair or Kingston RAM.

They cost a bit, though.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Norgy on July 11, 2014, 02:39:06 PM
The G-Skill sticks are the best ones I have had. Far easier to get to work properly than Corsair or Kingston RAM.

They cost a bit, though.

Kingston are alright, provided you stay away from the VR models.  Corsair might as well be radioactive, though.  While I was servicing PCs, you wouldn't believe how many problems I saw come through due to dead sticks of Corsair.

I'll second the G.Skill recommendation, though- the Ripjaws in my current rig haven't given me any trouble, ever.
Experience bij!

Norgy

Think I have the Ripjaws as well. Low profile 1866 mHz ones.

So Corsair basically ship out crap? Good to know for later.

I notice there's a new Z97 series out in motherboards and an i7 4790k. I am tempted to spend money on: Stuff I don't really need.

:ph34r:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2014, 12:03:43 PM
Stuff I don't really need.
But you do.  It will please you.  Pleasure is good.  Ergo, just do it :P

Norgy

As much as I would like to, I have a hard time shelling out the sums they demand for the better Z97 motherboards. I paid a premium for my current one.

The processor is a different matter, as it seems as if Haswell Refresh ones run a bit cooler than the original Haswell ones. The 4770K that I have would've fried if not for watercooling. Still even with that, it gets dangerously warm when overclocked to anything above 4.2-4.4 gHz.
Of course, performance-wise, it's the best thing I've seen.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on July 25, 2014, 02:17:56 PM
As much as I would like to, I have a hard time shelling out the sums they demand for the better Z97 motherboards. I paid a premium for my current one.
Unless I have an urgent need, I usually try to wait 6-8 months after the release of the new chipset.  Most bugs are fixed in BIOS upgrades and prices are a tad lower.

Grey Fox

I need a new video card but the 970s are too expensive

:( :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
I need a new video card but the 970s are too expensive

:( :(
I got a Radeon 290x for a little under 400$ on E-bay the other day.  Check the deals there.
Right now, they are between 300-400$ on the low side.

What is your budget?

Grey Fox

viper37

Grey Fox

It's going to be an hard pill to swallow, getting an AMD card.

Going to wait for the Black Friday deals.