News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those AMD APUs...

Started by viper37, May 02, 2014, 01:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I'm planning on replacing my office computers.  I'm buying AMD A-6600k APUs.  I want to match them with R7-250 fanless video cards.  Would anybody know if I can use dual graphics (sort of like Crossfire) with this setup?  I asked the question on AMD forum, but no one answered yet.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

I run an older AMD setup as my living room computer, and yes, yes you can.
There'll be a dual graphics option if you set it up with the AMD Catastrophe software.
Just don't expect any powerful computing from the APUs.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Oh, they added an animation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

One thing you do need to check, and that I am not sure of is whether the APU you have chosen can be Crossfired with the discrete card in question.

They may use different graphics chips. Just to be safe, like. If not, switch to a card that can be Crossfired. The new AMD gfx nomenclature confuses me no end, so I have no idea. Besides, I prefer Intel and nVidia.  ;)

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 02:49:08 PM
One thing you do need to check, and that I am not sure of is whether the APU you have chosen can be Crossfired with the discrete card in question.
That's the question I asked!  I want to make sure they can be linked together, Crossfire/Dual Graphics, and I can't find the info anywhere.

Norgy

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on May 03, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
Like I said, the naming fucks it up a bit for me.

http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-dual-graphics-works-ddr3-memory-based-radeon-r7-gpus/

Says R7-250 is supported.
I saw that one, but it wasn't my CPU, so I was unsure.

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/custom-built-computers/amd-6600k-4-2ghz-1tb-8gb-1600mhz-amd-r7-250-2gb-vantage-computer-gaming-pc.html

Them selling this combo might suggest it works well.

Sorry about being unclear earlier.
This one I didn't see, and it's what I was looking for :)
Thank you very much :)

[/quote]

viper37

Well, crap, I just got an answer from AMD forum, after ordering, of course.
Dual graphics is useless outside of games, it provides no benefit at all.  Wish I had known, I would have picked an higher processor and no video card.

viper37

Also, the memory won't run higher that 1333mhz.  Some small footnotes on AMD's site warn you about this...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on May 21, 2014, 10:46:50 AM
Well, crap, I just got an answer from AMD forum, after ordering, of course.
Dual graphics is useless outside of games, it provides no benefit at all.  Wish I had known, I would have picked an higher processor and no video card.

I wish I had noticed this thread sooner so I could tell you that. :P

The only non-gaming uses for multiple video cards are driving more monitors and GP-GPU processing.  The first is dropping in significance as DisplayPort becomes more common.