Can Modern Life Sometimes Be a Bit Too Convenient ?

Started by mongers, May 01, 2014, 08:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Heard a nice story on the radio today, in an interview with Martin Carthy, the famous folk musician he scotched the story that he and Bob Dylan once shared a flat. 

But he did tell this story, on a cold English winter day, Dylan came around for a cup of tea, because they didn't have any firewood, Carthy and wife had earlier started cutting up an old, useless piano.
Initially Dylan 'protested' you couldn't do that to a musical instrument, but once it's condition was pointed out, he set about dismantling it with gusto, probably because the only thing they had to cut it up with was a samurai sword!  :lol: 

All that to just make a cup of tea, now we just flick a switch, presto, boiling water a minute or two later.

So my question is, do you find any aspects of modern life, just a bit too convenient ?

Or are you happy the way things are, flicking switches being the order of the day ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Actually, there's not enough switches yet. I want teleporters, dammit!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Even way back in the 60s, I don't think you typically had to cut up a piano for firewood in order to get a cup of tea.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on May 01, 2014, 09:01:11 AM
Even way back in the 60s, I don't think you typically had to cut up a piano for firewood in order to get a cup of tea.

In England you did.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Back then my granny used to buy poor sets of chairs at the salesroom/auctions, to break up for firewood.   :bowler:

Tamas

That would have been my point exactly. Then again, being a musician on drugs must make other aspects of life (eg. making tea) more difficult.

And no, we cannot get too convenient.

mongers

Who knew so much of Languish was colourblind.  :P

Grey Fox

No, conveniance is a staple of modern western society.

Find you have too much convenience in your life? Just make some food from scratch.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Dunno, I think dead piano firewood and a sword for choppin' sound pretty convenient.

I had to climb up on a ladder with a chainsaw to cut down my firewood.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2014, 10:04:42 AM
Dunno, I think dead piano firewood and a sword for choppin' sound pretty convenient.

Was that before or after you took up the hobby of chainsaw juggling?   :P

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2014, 10:04:42 AM

Axe, on the ground for me.  :sleep: Granted, I did not do it that much, so if I started again I would run the chance of hitting my feet, initially.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Anyone who thinks modern life is too convienient should spend a couple of weeks at my parent's cottage (US: "cabin").

No effete modern conveiniences there - if you want heat, you chop firewood; if you want water, you pump it by hand into a bucket and carry the bucket up the hill to the cottage. If you want light, you pour kerosene into a lamp, carefully adjust the mantle, and light it, keeping an eye on the mantle so it does not carbonize and burn the place down. If you want to go to the toilet at night, you use a chamber pot (which then needs washing the next day) or walk in the dark to the outhouse. If you want a bath, there is the lake. For vegitables, there is a small gardan, requiring work to maintain.

It is amazing how much of one's time is spent simply arranging to exist.

It is my dad's notion of paradise, but not really mine  :lol: ... though the setting makes up for the primitive facilities.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

I was just about to say that a lot of touristic activities support mongers' hypothesis  :D

A fortnight at the cabin would be just about perfect to remind one of modern conveniences.

Malthus

I can tell you right now which modern convenience one misses the most when it is removed - hot and cold running water from the tap.

There is nothing but nothing more annoyingly labour-intensive than dealing with water by hand.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius