Rabbis said to use torture to secure divorces for women

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2013, 12:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 17, 2013, 04:21:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2013, 01:46:58 PM
What about a publicly funded faith school? Or do you not have them?

Verboten.

It has never really occurred to me that our historical differences have produced such significant legal differences.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2013, 04:34:08 PM
Okay. Even with, say, school vouchers?

Educational vouchers provided to private persons (parents) may be spent on parochial schools by the parents if certain conditions are satisfied.
Supreme Court split 5-4 on that decision, which was not without considerable controversy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2013, 04:45:48 PM
It has never really occurred to me that our historical differences have produced such significant legal differences.

That's what I've been saying!!  :uffda:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Guy should have realized he would get a beating.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/man-admits-kidnapping-beating-husband-divorce-papers-n98361

QuoteMan Admits Kidnapping, Beating a Husband for Divorce Papers

A New Jersey man pleaded guilty Tuesday to kidnapping and beating an Israeli man who had refused to divorce his wife.

David Wax, 51, a Talmudic scholar from Lakewood, New Jersey, admitted conspiring to kidnap the Jewish man in October 2010 to force him to give his wife a religious divorce, known as a "get," U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman said.

According to Jewish law, the get must be presented by a husband to his wife for a divorce to happen.

Prosecutors said Wax lured the man — who was not identified — from Brooklyn, New York, to his home in Lakewood under the pretense that the man would work on Talmudic books Wax was publishing. When he arrived, the victim was brought upstairs, blindfolded, handcuffed, and bound, and then assaulted by Wax and his conspirators until he provided the get.

The family of the man's wife paid Wax about $100,000 to obtain the get. His conspirators received about $50,000, according to court documents.

The U.S. attorney's office did not provide further details on who else faces charges in the case or the status of the victim's marriage.

The conspiracy to commit kidnapping charge carries a maximum potential penalty of life in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 19.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Yeah why didn't he think his wife's family would pay 100k to have him kidnapped and beaten?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2014, 10:23:57 PM
Yeah why didn't he think his wife's family would pay 100k to have him kidnapped and beaten?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?