In the long run, wars make us safer and richer

Started by CountDeMoney, April 28, 2014, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
A chick I work with named her son 'Conner'.  I told her I thought that was a dog's name.  She laughed about it, but I'm not sure if she was actually amused or just trying to be polite. :)
You would be mistaken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_%28given_name%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_%28surname%29
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 01, 2014, 10:02:03 PM
A chick I work with named her son 'Conner'.  I told her I thought that was a dog's name.  She laughed about it, but I'm not sure if she was actually amused or just trying to be polite. :)
You would be mistaken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_%28given_name%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_%28surname%29
Watch out, everybody!  Timmay has discovered Wikipedia!  He's gonna be laying down "the law according to Wikipedia" like this for a while.

Let's all agree to just smile, pat him on the head, and send him on his way.  No need to point out that Wikipedia is utterly non-authoritative - I don't think he'll get to that idea until 8th grade or so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Not to mention that his link suggests that the -er spelling is atypical.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2014, 09:16:58 AM
Not to mention that his link suggests that the -er spelling is atypical.

"According to Wikipedia, only two people have ever been named 'Conner'."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

One of the boys on ny son's basketball team is named Connor.  I dont know anyone named Conner. 

Savonarola

I have a cousin named Conner.  Our grandfather was not at all happy when he first heard that name, he said it was an Irishman's last name and should be preceded by an "O'".

It didn't seem that unusual in time.  Once he got to the age when he started talking it seemed a name just like any other.  We had to go through the same thing again with my grandfather when my aunt named her next son Spencer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2014, 12:16:39 PM

I have a cousin named Conner.  Our grandfather was not at all happy when he first heard that name, he said it was an Irishman's last name and should be preceded by an "O'".

It didn't seem that unusual in time.  Once he got to the age when he started talking it seemed a name just like any other.  We had to go through the same thing again with my grandfather when my aunt named her next son Spencer.

I like your grandpa :)

Norgy

If he grows up to be tall, he can be Long Con.

Jacob

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 01:38:23 PM
If he grows up to be tall, he can be Long Con.

If he becomes a ruler, he can be King Con.

Norgy

If he joins French band Air, he can be Con Air.

Malthus

If he goes to prision, he can be just plain "Con".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2014, 02:05:07 PM

As an undergraduate Conner studied writing at the University of Michigan.  In prison he could deliver:  prose and cons.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2014, 02:24:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2014, 02:05:07 PM

As an undergraduate Conner studied writing at the University of Michigan.  In prison he could deliver:  prose and cons.

Politically, I suppose he's a natural Conservative.