In the long run, wars make us safer and richer

Started by CountDeMoney, April 28, 2014, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2014, 10:13:53 AM
1950-1980, anyway.
Your birth wasn't the global disaster that your ego would make it to be.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Well the good news I guess is we've been at war nearly non-stop for fifteen years. Are we rich yet?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2014, 01:16:38 PM
Well the good news I guess is we've been at war nearly non-stop for fifteen years. Are we rich yet?

I can say for sure that it hasn't trickled down this far yet.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2014, 10:10:03 AM
Very muddled argument.

QuoteAs this process unfolded, humanity prospered. Ten thousand years ago, when the planet's population was 6 million or so, people lived about 30 years on average and supported themselves on the equivalent income of about $2 per day.

Thing is, the life expectancy and income levels were basically the same c. 1800, albeit with a larger population.  Even in the most develped parts of the world (Western Europe) life expectancy was around 40 or so and income levels in the range of $3-4 per day.

Almost all of the progress in living standards in all of world history has occured in the last 200 years, and the bulk of that has occurred since 1950.
I'm pretty sure a subsistence farmer in 1800 had a higher living standard than a hunter gatherer who lived 10,000 years ago.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2014, 07:11:51 PM
Very muddled argument.

QuoteAs this process unfolded, humanity prospered. Ten thousand years ago, when the planet's population was 6 million or so, people lived about 30 years on average and supported themselves on the equivalent income of about $2 per day.

Thing is, the life expectancy and income levels were basically the same c. 1800, albeit with a larger population.  Even in the most develped parts of the world (Western Europe) life expectancy was around 40 or so and income levels in the range of $3-4 per day.

Almost all of the progress in living standards in all of world history has occured in the last 200 years, and the bulk of that has occurred since 1950.
I'm pretty sure a subsistence farmer in 1800 had a higher living standard than a hunter gatherer who lived 10,000 years ago.

Yes, but according to the Tim metric, a welfare recipient in Detroit circa 20now has a higher living standard than a Viking chieftain...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 29, 2014, 07:48:27 PM
Very muddled argument.

Yes, but according to the Tim metric, a welfare recipient in Detroit circa 20now has a higher living standard than a Viking chieftain...
I think that's a standard held by anyone that's not brain damaged.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

Higher living standard does not equal success nor happiness. Never has. Never will, actually.
and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

A higher living standard would make me happier.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fhdz on April 29, 2014, 08:12:06 PM
Higher living standard does not equal success nor happiness. Never has. Never will, actually.

The hell it doesn't.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Very muddled argument.

I know I am going to hate myself in the morning but here it goes.

Why do you think that timmay?  Hunter gatherers were healthier and lived longer than the farmers that settled the first cities. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fhdz on April 29, 2014, 08:12:06 PM

Perhaps not, but lower living standard does tend to equal unhappiness, at least for those aware of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2014, 11:18:54 PM
Very muddled argument.

I know I am going to hate myself in the morning but here it goes.

Why do you think that timmay?  Hunter gatherers were healthier and lived longer than the farmers that settled the first cities.
Yeah, so what? We aren't talking about the inhabitants of the first cities nine thousand years ago, we're talking about people who live in the 19th century.

People with steel tools, and vastly more sophisticated architecture and agriculture.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

An actual subsistence farmer in 1800 - say a Russian serf or a Chinese peasant - would probably not have a materially higher standard of living then an Old Stone Age hunter-gatherer.  For the reasons Ideologue suggests, it might have been lower.  The fact that such a farmer might have access to tools with which he would do more work and yet receive less nutritive benefit is not a plus.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson