Austrian rape victim released from Dubai jail

Started by Syt, February 01, 2014, 03:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Sorry for the Daily Mail link, but they report the story 1:1 as Austrian media did:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2549707/Austrian-rape-victim-arrested-having-sex-outside-marriage-UAE-reported-crime-told-MARRY-attacker.html

QuoteAustrian rape victim was arrested for having sex outside of marriage in UAE when she reported the crime... and told she had to MARRY her attacker

- 29-year-old was arrested when she reported that her attacker had raped her
- She faced a jail sentence for having 'extra marital sex' and drinking alcohol
- Austrian Foreign Ministry put together a crisis team to free her
- 260,000 people signed a petition supporting her attempts at freedom

An Austrian woman who was raped in Dubai has been arrested for having extra martial sex and was told by police she could only avoid jail if she married her attacker.

The 29-year-old student from Vienna was facing a jail sentence having been accused of having sex outside of marriage and drinking alcohol, both of which are illegal in the United Arab Emirate capital.

It was only after the Austrian Foreign Ministry intervened, that she was able to leave the country and return home.

The unnamed woman, who is understood to be Muslim, had been to a party at a hotel where the rules on alcohol are often lax, according to Austrian officials.

She said the attack happened in an underground car park after a Yemeni man in Dubai approached her.

When she reported it to police, she was arrested and told she could only escape being charged if she agreed to marry the man she said had attacked her.

The student was released after a special crisis team was sent by the Austrian Foreign Ministry to Dubai to negotiate with the authorities. She was greeted by Austrian Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz when she landed in Vienna yesterday.

An online petition also helped to bring attention to the situation, gaining over 260,000 signatures calling for her release in just a few days.

Her quick release came as a surprise because, as a Muslim, she would likely have been treated more severely than non-Muslim Western visitors in trouble with police because of the strict Islamic rules surrounding drinking.

Her case has been compared the eventual pardon of a 24-year-old Norwegian woman who was given a prison sentence of one year and four months by a Dubai court after she reported her own rape last year.

Instead of being treated as a victim, she was found guilty of alcohol abuse and extramarital sex.

She was later pardoned and allowed to return to Norway after there was a global outcry about her treatment.

I love the image choices of the Daily Mail, though:

You can almost hear the Imperial March playing in the background.

vs.

Which has a musical score more like this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

and Dubai is the most liberal bit of the gulf as well as the bit most used to stupid and naive foreigners.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Petitions are hilariously pathetic excuses for inaction

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2014, 06:30:18 AM
Petitions are hilariously pathetic excuses for inaction

It's also the best way to deal with a completely arbitrary "legal" system where the laws as written are literally breaches of human rights. The people in those countries are likely to accept that a criminal be released because "our allies demanded it".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Austrian media report that the rape victim has been sentenced (in absentia) by the Dubai court to two months in prison.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

It might be for the conservative ÖVP. They still have his portrait hanging, because he was " a patriot, slain by the Nazis."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2014, 11:40:51 PM
Austrian media report that the rape victim has been sentenced (in absentia) by the Dubai court to two months in prison.

I take it she's not planning to return and pay her debt to (Dubai) society.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Remember: judging another culture is bad.  Real bad.  Michael Jackson bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)