One in eight children think World War Three has already happened

Started by Brazen, June 08, 2009, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on June 08, 2009, 10:54:46 AM
Actually I think they included the Korea War as part of the Cold war, together with the Vietnam war and the Sovjet intervention in Afghanistan. All part of the wars fought by proxy between the Sovjet Union and the USA...

Ehh, the Korean war had multiple belligerent countries on both sides explicitly, making it a lot less proxy than Vietnam and Afghanistan.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: ulmont on June 08, 2009, 11:08:01 AM
Ehh, the Korean war had multiple belligerent countries on both sides explicitly, making it a lot less proxy than Vietnam and Afghanistan.

True, I think that they in order to keep it simple, included all wars from Churchill's iron curtain speech to the the fall of the Berlin Wall...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 08, 2009, 05:57:31 AM
QuoteThey are urging people to talk to their elderly relatives about their involvement in the Second World War.

My father's uncle Bill was a Guadalcanal Marine.  Left some of his bowels there the second time, and is still full of piss and vinegar in Texas. 
Last time I talked to him, he was still bitching about my aunt buying a Japanese car.

God Bless Our Vets.

Heh, my great uncle, who was part of the marines airborne experiment in WWII and who  fought at Guadalcanal and then Guam and Iwo Jima just passed away this last week at 87. :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on June 08, 2009, 11:45:53 AM
QuoteThey are urging people to talk to their elderly relatives about their involvement in the Second World War.

My father's uncle Bill was a Guadalcanal Marine.  Left some of his bowels there the second time, and is still full of piss and vinegar in Texas. 
Last time I talked to him, he was still bitching about my aunt buying a Japanese car.

God Bless Our Vets.

Heh, my great uncle, who was part of the marines airborne experiment in WWII and who  fought at Guadalcanal and then Guam and Iwo Jima just passed away this last week at 87. :cry:
RIP :console:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Most of my great uncles were too old for WWII.  My uncles were all in the Navy.  One of them was a Pearl Harbor survivor but the others served stateside.

Fireblade

A WW3 involving hovertanks and laser cannons would give me a total timmaygasm.

I'd totally enlist in the 93rd Arkansas Combat Mech Battalion :w00t:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on June 08, 2009, 11:45:53 AM

God Bless Our Vets.

That sucks. They're not making them like that anymore.

Norgy

School children are thankfully still in school and may be saved still.
I'd be more worried about Joe Dumbass Public.

PDH

I was afraid I missed something.  Lasers?  Giant Space Battleships?  Tim as the next Ranke?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

lustindarkness

QuoteDumbasses. Everyone knows WWIII was against the zombie virus  :rolleyes:
:yes:

(I hope the movie makes justice to the book)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

BuddhaRhubarb

This reminds of a story I think I've shared here in the past. I used to hang out at this cafe known for thugs, lowlifes, hippies etc.

One time I was talking with someone about America entering ww2 after Pearl Harbor when this 17 yr old goombah wannabe butted into the conversation to explain to me how the very first act the US did upon entering the war in 45( what he averred) was to nuke Hiroshima. I laughed in his face and ignored him....until he started to piss me off by not shutting up about it (turned out his grandpa had been in the war and told him all this or told him something that he turned into this alt history retardation) then I explained to him the various high points of WW2. All of which he was credulous of, since he'd never heard of them (Midway, the Blitz, Guadalcanal etc)

When i told him to pick up any history book, he said, "you can't find anything true in a book. all lies." I started to think this guy was yaking my chain. But weeks later... he tried to collect on some hundred dollar bet he imagined I'd made with him about this. I walked up to an old guy (holocaust survivor) I knew and asked him to confirm with the kid my version of the history. The kid took him seriously and walked out all embarrassed.

goes to show you that you shouldn't take Grandpa's stories as anything more than that.
:p

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 09, 2009, 11:49:02 AM
One time I was talking with someone about America entering ww2 after Pearl Harbor when this 17 yr old goombah wannabe butted into the conversation to explain to me how the very first act the US did upon entering the war in 45( what he averred) was to nuke Hiroshima. I laughed in his face and ignored him....until he started to piss me off by not shutting up about it (turned out his grandpa had been in the war and told him all this or told him something that he turned into this alt history retardation) then I explained to him the various high points of WW2. All of which he was credulous of, since he'd never heard of them (Midway, the Blitz, Guadalcanal etc)

When i told him to pick up any history book, he said, "you can't find anything true in a book. all lies."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

Wah, I want a link or it isn't true.

Although part of me can't help but get miffed at all the credit and praise for the boys at D-Day. My grandfather spent 43 to 45 fighting in Italy, but he and the thousands of others Allied servicemen there get routinely ignored.