Main Menu

The evil that is Jante Law

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 26, 2014, 08:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2014, 11:52:14 AM
Quote from: Liep on April 26, 2014, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2014, 11:37:13 AM
So Jante Law is what defines successful Scandanavian people as assholes and douchebags.  Gotcha.

So no. But I see little point in arguing with you if that's what you took from what I wrote.
:lol:  You're not arguing with me, and I'm not arguing with you.

My posts are all tongue-in-cheek, like Legbiter's.  I'd never heard of this thing until this thread.

Wow.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Here I thought Axel Sandemose was mostly Norwegian for living here.  :mad:

Jacob sums it up well. The novel isn't even that good a read. I'd say that the Jante Law is mostly eradicated in Scandinavia, and that we might need to get a bit of it back, really.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on April 26, 2014, 11:57:57 AM
Speaking of

"Insects for Restaurants"

"Anally mired"

"Price for a maiden"

Close?  :uffda:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

When I first came to norway, using my school danish to try and keep up, the book they were reading in junior high was "En Flyktning Krysser Sitt Spor", where the Jantelov is introduced. The Jantelov was being explained and the discussion was about how horrible and bad it was. Having spent the previous 11 years in Iceland and the USA, two places Anja Andersen would feel at home, I kept saying that Norway is the living embodiment of the Jantelov. It still is.... and I got into trouble for saying it. Norway is a small town on a national level. Oslo is a large city that aspires to be a village.

The only kind of success which is kosher is success at athletics and music. Being successful in any other field is suspect and requires atonement of some sort. Success and Deviation is considered arrogant in the extreme. The side effect of this is that only deviants claim success.

The other big effect of not being permitted pride in individual achievement is that collective achievement is fetishised to the extreme. Being proud of what the village did and it's traditions is the only kind of pride and ambition permitted, so it is the only kind which is practiced. This is why norwegians as individuals are usually considered to be humble and decent while norwegians as groups are horribly arrogant and selfish.

Janteloven is not eradicated in Norway, it is institutionalized on all levels.

As for Japan, after 3 years in norway I was desparate to get away from it all and I went as an exchange student to the place that seemed most different from norway: japan. grumbler is right, it is practiced in Japan as well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on April 26, 2014, 11:24:29 AM
It's what successful people use to explain criticism when they're being called out for being assholes.

Case in point: Our best Handballer ever, and perhaps the best in the world in her time. And also a colossal douchebag.

I'm okay with her shirt, and whatever shirt she wants to wear so long as it doesn't command me to fuck her.  :yuk:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

hey, that joke about Jude Law was oddly fitting....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2014, 02:49:21 PM"Insects for Restaurants"

"Anally mired"

"Price for a maiden"

Close?  :uffda:

Sort of:

Insects [found] at restaurants.

Number of ants.

Price for the food.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on April 26, 2014, 04:23:31 PM

The only kind of success which is kosher is success at athletics and music. Being successful in any other field is suspect and requires atonement of some sort. Success and Deviation is considered arrogant in the extreme. The side effect of this is that only deviants claim success.

The other big effect of not being permitted pride in individual achievement is that collective achievement is fetishised to the extreme. Being proud of what the village did and it's traditions is the only kind of pride and ambition permitted, so it is the only kind which is practiced. This is why norwegians as individuals are usually considered to be humble and decent while norwegians as groups are horribly arrogant and selfish.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with having pride in collective accomplishments. The factor that seems self-destructive is fetishizing anyone successful as assholes. Yeah, go ahead and invent cold fusion in your basement, but don't you dare mention it to anyone or we'll all call you Hitler.

Never mind that you could revolutionize the lives of billions and go a long way toward eradicating poverty. It's a horrible disincentive.

Edit: And that makes it detrimental to the interests of the collective, no?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

So it's the Danish take on lagom?
I heard much about that, but certainly never encountered it. Rich arse holes are rich arse holds in Sweden just as much as britain
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on April 26, 2014, 09:09:12 PM
I heard much about that, but certainly never encountered it. Rich arse holes are rich arse holds in Sweden just as much as britain

No I don't think it has to do with money so much as having accomplishments or notoriety.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 26, 2014, 09:15:13 PM

No I don't think it has to do with money so much as having accomplishments or notoriety.

It's ok to have money, just don't flaunt it too much. Accomplishments are fine too, as long as you don't think they are any kind if big deal or that they make you better than anyone in any way.

Ideologue

Worse.  They strangle women to death in their elaborate basements.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Another speaking of, Redzepi and Noma just won world's best restaurant award again.