UKIP poster boy is a racist immigrant, film at 11

Started by Tamas, April 25, 2014, 04:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 03, 2014, 02:29:53 PM
Yeah, I'm with garbon here.

An expat is someone who lives in a foreign (to them) country for some reason other than a long vacation, but who isn't immigrating there (for whatever reasons).

If you go to Korea to teach English, you're an expat. If your promotion to VP Logistics (Asia) means you have to go live in Shanghai you're an expat (if you're not Chinese), if you apply to and get a highly paid banking job in Hong Kong (and you're not from there) you're an expat, and if you buy a sweet beach cottage and collect your pension in Costa Rica, you're also an expat.

On what Jos was saying though - yes as an individual it is very hard to break into the EU by yourself if not an EU-citizen as candidates local to that country and then EU have priority...as I think I've been a good example of. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

In the UK debate, an 'expat' is a Briton who lives abroad, whereas an 'immigrant' is a foreigner who lives in Britain, primarily to steal benefits and produce 'hidden immigrants'.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Jacob

Quote from: Warspite on December 03, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
In the UK debate, an 'expat' is a Briton who lives abroad, whereas an 'immigrant' is a foreigner who lives in Britain, primarily to steal benefits and produce 'hidden immigrants'.

Would the UK debate consider garbon an immigrant or an American expat?

Warspite

Quote from: Jacob on December 03, 2014, 08:17:41 PM

An upstart colonial. :tricorne:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

For the purposes of the tabloid discussion he would count as an immigrant.

Martinus

By your definition, 90% of Poles who live in the UK are expats. But British tabloids and politicians call them immigrants. Does it answer your question?

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 04, 2014, 02:46:18 AM

I wonder if I (Americans) would even come up in the discussion as we don't have free movement to the UK and have to demonstrate things like that we won't become welfare queens. I would guess we make up an insignificant set of people coming over.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2014, 06:40:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 04, 2014, 02:46:18 AM

I wonder if I (Americans) would even come up in the discussion as we don't have free movement to the UK and have to demonstrate things like that we won't become welfare queens. I would guess we make up an insignificant set of people coming over.

I am pretty sure common opinion on USAians is not "dirty immigrant" anywhere.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2014, 06:40:32 AM

It's between 20,000 and 30,000 a years, so about 5% of the total. About the same numbers going the other way.

Josquius

An expat is someone who lives in a foreign (to them) country for some reason other than a long vacation, but who isn't immigrating there (for whatever reasons).

If you go to Korea to teach English, you're an expat. If your promotion to VP Logistics (Asia) means you have to go live in Shanghai you're an expat (if you're not Chinese), if you apply to and get a highly paid banking job in Hong Kong (and you're not from there) you're an expat, and if you buy a sweet beach cottage and collect your pension in Costa Rica, you're also an expat.

How would you differentiate between a immigrant and an expat?

When I read expat newspapers there tends to be quite a big distinction between the theoretically temporary professional expats (though some do become lifers) and the immigrants.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

garbon

I was told that my move would not be an expat assignment, though I don't think I have intentions of living the rest of my life in the UK.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on December 05, 2014, 06:43:09 PM

How would you differentiate between a immigrant and an expat?

When I read expat newspapers there tends to be quite a big distinction between the theoretically temporary professional expats (though some do become lifers) and the immigrants.

Immigrant = on a path towards citizenship and legal permanent status.
Expat = temporarily there, however long.

The EU's freedom of movement does kinda make that a bit wonky though.