N. Korea sentences U.S. journalists to 12 years

Started by jimmy olsen, June 08, 2009, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 08, 2009, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2009, 08:16:50 AM
I wonder what N.Korean prisons are like. Is there just the horrid political prisoner prisons or real ones too?

They're great.  All the bark and dandelion heads you can eat.

Thats the country as a whole nay?
But no, I seriously wonder. Does the government have actual real internationally legal prisons in addition to its camps?
I wouldn't imagine them getting much use out of them anyway if they are there (crime being against the revolution and all that bollocks) but are they there...
██████
██████
██████

citizen k

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2009, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 08, 2009, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2009, 08:16:50 AM
I wonder what N.Korean prisons are like. Is there just the horrid political prisoner prisons or real ones too?

They're great.  All the bark and dandelion heads you can eat.

Thats the country as a whole nay?
But no, I seriously wonder. Does the government have actual real internationally legal prisons in addition to its camps?
I wouldn't imagine them getting much use out of them anyway if they are there (crime being against the revolution and all that bollocks) but are they there...
That one dude that was caught skinny dipping in the Yalu was put up in a hotel. When he was released he was charged $5,000 for his stay.

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on June 08, 2009, 11:02:07 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 08, 2009, 08:03:47 AM
It's always best to assume that anything you read that was written by a journalist is wrong until you receive confirmation from a non-journalistic source.
Problem is, you'd never even know the things you may or may not believe happened at all without journalists.
It does make things more difficult.  You can generally assume that they'll be alright for reporting what happened in broad terms ('A plane crashed' for example), but trusting them with specifics or with analysis is a bad idea (What was the cause of the plane crash?  What are the possible ramifications?).  This isn't true of all journalists, to be sure, just the vast majority of them.  Any journalists in our midst can be assumed to be both capable and sane.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the fact that only idiots seem to get journalism or communication degrees.  Otherwise, they'd be doing something more useful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I think it would be fun to take a vacation to North Korea.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jos Theelen

Quote from: Neil on June 08, 2009, 03:23:35 PM
Personally, I think it has something to do with the fact that only idiots seem to get journalism or communication degrees.  Otherwise, they'd be doing something more useful.

I think most journalists consider themselves authors. They want to write good readable stories, with nice sentences. To do that, you need to have a lot of knowledge about the subject, which they don't have. So they "invent" things to make the story look better.