And we're back!

Main Menu

Tories flirt with heresy

Started by Tamas, April 24, 2014, 03:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 03:26:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 02:57:04 PM
I don't think Tamas likes anything that smells of environmentalism, which he regards as a religion.

It seems to be a religion for some.

Yes, to the people who don't like it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I don't think Tamas likes anything that smells of environmentalism, which he regards as a religion.

Pollution seems to have much more tangible results than other religion's sins.  Maybe this is the one true religion at last?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 03:36:35 PM

:rolleyes:  Come on, Raz.  Stop being childish.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2014, 03:40:21 AM
QuoteHe also said his party would change the law within six months of winning the 2015 election so all onshore wind farm applications would be handled by local planning authorities.

At present large projects in England and Wales are dealt with under the "nationally significant infrastructure" planning regime.
So they want to give the same councils whose nimbyism means we have a housing shortage control over windmill applications too.

It's typical. The Tories don't like any development or infrastructure, no matter how useful, built in their areas. HS2 goes over the Chilterns. Heathrow may be at capacity but that's less important than mortgages in South-West London. Fracking's a great opportunity for the 'desolate north', but a bit more difficult in the Sussex Downs :bleeding:

We need to be far more dirigiste about this and just build our new nuclear powerplants, windmills, high speed rail lines and airways wherever they need to go :frog:

Edit: Also housing <_<

QuoteWell, here in the UK, it seems you are not allowed to market pretty much anything without claiming it was produced with renewable energy, and/or being freerange. You just don't.
I think you're reading far too much into marketing bumph.

QuoteSo, saying that there is such thing as too much money spent on renewables seemed like a brave stance.
How is this brave? There's about 30 people who really care about building more windmills and they all work for the Guardian. But there's a strong, organised opposition to it among Tories. It's craven.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 03:56:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 03:36:35 PM

:rolleyes:  Come on, Raz.  Stop being childish.

I'd say the vast majority of people who claim environmentalism is a religion are opposed to the idea of environmentalism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

None of it is the least bit surprising is it, Shelf ?

We're what, 14 months off an election and the Tories are tapping into any Nimbyist/Daily Mail friendly prejudice they can find, in an effort to sure up their vote and stop is leaking away to UKIP and the consequent post-election confusion. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

A Lib Dem source accused the party of pandering to its right wing.

The source said the Tories were trying to stop voters turning to UKIP.

Presumably, that source thinks tories going over to ukip is a good thing?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Gregor Eisenhorn will deal with them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2014, 05:00:04 PM
There's about 30 people who really care about building more windmills and they all work for the Guardian.

I hate to pile onto the Guardian, and I know she only usually writes for CiF, but you know who I can't stand?  Laurie Penny. :bleeding:  Sometimes I read things from New Statesman, where she really is on staff, and inevitably bump into her pieces, and she's almost seems like a right-wing plant in how irritatingly she conveys her pseudo-left perspective.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 05:06:43 PM
I'd say the vast majority of people who claim environmentalism is a religion are opposed to the idea of environmentalism.

But the majority of people who treat it as one are probably more favorable. (And considerably fewer in number /shrug)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 24, 2014, 09:18:50 PM

But the majority of people who treat it as one are probably more favorable. (And considerably fewer in number /shrug)

I'm not sure exactly what that means.

derspiess

I bet you would.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 24, 2014, 08:26:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2014, 05:00:04 PM
There's about 30 people who really care about building more windmills and they all work for the Guardian.

I hate to pile onto the Guardian, and I know she only usually writes for CiF, but you know who I can't stand?  Laurie Penny. :bleeding:  Sometimes I read things from New Statesman, where she really is on staff, and inevitably bump into her pieces, and she's almost seems like a right-wing plant in how irritatingly she conveys her pseudo-left perspective.

I follow her on twitter.  I don't remember why or how but I do enjoy it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2014, 05:08:56 PM
None of it is the least bit surprising is it, Shelf ?

We're what, 14 months off an election and the Tories are tapping into any Nimbyist/Daily Mail friendly prejudice they can find, in an effort to sure up their vote and stop is leaking away to UKIP and the consequent post-election confusion.

Although in fairness, HS2 has its second reading next week.