Sketches of Spain

Started by Savonarola, April 18, 2014, 12:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 23, 2014, 10:07:21 PM
What does it mean in Spain? :unsure:

In a facetious context, it's slang for being in the receiving end of homosexual sexual intercourse.

That said, in regular conversation it should only attract a semi-puzzled look at best.

My favorite bit of sexual inter-dialect misunderstanding is the fact that "coger" means "to fuck" in Mexican but only "to take" in peninsular Spanish. I remember talking to a Mexican girl the first time I was in Florida and telling her "I'm sure they'll take you" (she had just had the same job interview as me with a panel of serious looking rich 50somethings). She just wouldn't stop giggling.

KRonn

Sav's excellent adventure to the Old World! Fun AAR!  :)

I was in Spain briefly years ago with the Navy, at Rota Spain. We used most of our free time to walk around the nearest town, or rent a car and drive around and see some sights. Wasn't there long enough but I enjoyed it.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on April 24, 2014, 07:20:21 AM
Sav's excellent adventure to the Old World! Fun AAR!  :)

I was in Spain briefly years ago with the Navy, at Rota Spain. We used most of our free time to walk around the nearest town, or rent a car and drive around and see some sights. Wasn't there long enough but I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I've enjoyed reading this too.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2014, 07:16:51 AM
To be honest, I avoid the Ramblas when walking back up after clubbing. As you noticed, part of the prossies' shtick is to double up as pickpockets when they harass you. It's still a pretty funny sight to see all the dressed up high-class lot exiting the Liceu after an opera night and mix up with the drunkards and the prossies. Only in Barcelona  :cool:

Orwell describes how people would dig up the paving stones from the Ramblas in order to make barricades during the Civil War (and apparently during times of civil disturbance.)  That's hard to imagine today given the innumerable tourist kiosks and gift shops along it.

QuoteThe thing with engineers is that they think of everything as engines, so they splice, cut, rearrange and throw away with savantic abandon  :P

That's why we make such good super-villains.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

You make good super-villains because you can realistically put together a bomb (or killer robot).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 24, 2014, 01:38:14 PM
You make good super-villains because you can realistically put together a bomb (or killer robot).

The problem is, even the killer robot can't get a date.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2014, 01:52:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 24, 2014, 01:38:14 PM

The problem is, even the killer robot can't get a date.  :P

Maybe not exterminating everyone is the first step to having friends...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

One of our current projects is in Australia; when we have people come to Florida from there they like to go to the Harley stores (we have some large ones in Florida), go to the strip clubs (the ones in Perth are supposed to be depressing), and go shooting (something they can't do back home).  One of the Spanish engineers is coming to Florida in a few weeks, he's pretty clean cut so he doesn't look like a Harley type and we didn't want to ask him about strip clubs when his co-workers were about; so we asked him if he'd like to go shooting.  The conversation went:

Nick:  Would you like to go shooting at the gun range?
Javier:  :unsure: Do you need a license?
Floridians:   :lol: :lol: :lol:

I felt kind of bad since it was like Charlie Brown when the whole class laughs at him.  In Florida the gun laws that we have are more like suggestions as it is; but of course Javier wouldn't have known that.   :Embarrass:

The Larch

Reinforcing stereotypes about Americans, I see.  :lol:

Why don't you take him to Cape Cañaveral to see NASA stuff?

The Brain

Shooting NASA stuff seems like a waste.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2014, 08:44:47 AM

Florida embodies all stereotypes about America... and Latin America as well, somehow. :unsure:

QuoteWhy don't you take him to Cape Cañaveral to see NASA stuff?

I'll suggest that, but he had expressed some interest in seeing the theme parks.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2014, 08:44:47 AM

Why don't you take him to Cape Cañaveral to see NASA stuff?

It has been just cape Canaveral for some time now, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Javier is in our office this week.  One of our engineers is taking him shooting tonight.  The conversation at lunch dealt, in great detail with firearms.

Javier:  Do all of you own guns?  :unsure:
All the other engineers:  YES! :w00t:
Savonarola: No

I fail at being Floridian.   :Embarrass:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.