News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan needs a thread too

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2014, 04:44:44 AM
TOKYO — Imagine a postwar Germany that had never managed to become friends with its neighboring countries. Imagine a Germany that, despite all the remorse it had shown for its belligerence during World War II, had been excluded from the European Union. Imagine, even, that this Germany had been excluded from NATO, because it had forever been denied the right to engage in a defense alliance.

Japan made friends with the countries that defeated them, they have no respect for the countries they conquered.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 17, 2014, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2014, 04:44:44 AM
TOKYO — Imagine a postwar Germany that had never managed to become friends with its neighboring countries. Imagine a Germany that, despite all the remorse it had shown for its belligerence during World War II, had been excluded from the European Union. Imagine, even, that this Germany had been excluded from NATO, because it had forever been denied the right to engage in a defense alliance.

Japan made friends with the countries that defeated them, they have no respect for the countries they conquered.  :ph34r:
I'm incompletely convinced that you are totally wrong. :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I adore Japan and will be spending a bit of time there in May :)

MadImmortalMan

I swear that stupid shrine is the best thing that ever happened to the Chinese government. They are getting so much mileage out of it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2014, 02:13:31 PM
I swear that stupid shrine is the best thing that ever happened to the Chinese government. They are getting so much mileage out of it.

Only to those who choose to give it mileage.
How's all that mileage we're getting out of the USS Arizona shrine every time we deal with Japan?

Monoriu

Yeah.  And the thing is, nobody pointed a gun at the Japanese PM for him to go :contract:

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on April 17, 2014, 03:51:30 PM

Yeah.  And the thing is, nobody pointed a gun at the Japanese PM for him to go :contract:

Are you sure? Intimidation and murder of prominent politicians is a tradition of post-Restoration Japan.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Well... extreme nationalists have assassinated politicians they disapproved of in Japan, though it's a while back.

grumbler

And the thing is, no one pointed a gun at the head of the former Chinese Communist Party Head, Zhao Ziyang, to keep him in his house for the 15 remaining years of his life after he was overthrown in 1989 for supporting honest, accountable government. :contract:

Oh, wait!  Someone did!  His successor, the corrupt and repressive Li Peng. But you may not know about that, because successive Chinese PMs have held guns to the head of anyone who tries to admit that Zhao Ziyang existed. :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

You know he lives Hong Kong right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

I would like to visit Japan someday. Alas my days of youthful wandering were limited to Europe.
Maybe when I retire.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2014, 06:03:41 PM
I would like to visit Japan someday. Alas my days of youthful wandering were limited to Europe.
Maybe when I retire.

Japan's a great place for a two-week vacation (crossing the pacific for less time than that is too much of a hassle IMO), and it's pretty family friendly too if that's a concern. I'd recommend trying to swing a family holiday.

Ed Anger

I'll just order pocky and beat off to those schoolgirls as Aircraft carriers pictures.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 06:25:33 PM
I'll just order pocky and beat off to those schoolgirls as Aircraft carriers pictures.

That will give you the Lettow experience of Japan.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2014, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 06:25:33 PM

That will give you the Lettow experience of Japan.

I'll wear my Col Sanders suit while doing so then.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive