Am I the only one pissed off by the SNP?

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 06:41:27 PM
Ed Millipede doesn't seem that bright.
Yeah, he's so smart he's not bright. As the Tories would say I think he's too clever by half. Probably a very good advisor, but I'm not convinced he's terribly good at this leadership business.

Edit: Also I just looked up that 'Scottish story' speech. When did we start writing political speeches like this?
http://www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/speech-to-scottish-labour-conference-by-ed-miliband-mp
How are there so many paragraphs? :weep: :bleeding:

This section at the climax has no verbs:
QuoteFairness for the people of Scotland and the United Kingdom.
Together, not alone.
Neighbours, not strangers.
Friends, not competitors.
A race to the top, not a race to the bottom.
:bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It's clear the Economist hates his guts.

Capetan Mihali

Yeah, what do you think Sheilbh/other Britishers?  Is he competent?  Would he be competent as PM?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 10:01:14 PM

Yeah, what do you think Sheilbh/other Britishers?  Is he competent?  Would he be competent as PM?

Are you trying to finagle one of my infamous lists out of me?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 10:23:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 10:07:52 PM
Are you trying to finagle one of my infamous lists out of me?

:unsure:

I misread the question. I thought you was asking me what I thought of the British posters.

I'm a dummy.

Eddie Teach

Languishites who would make a good PM of the UK:

Jaron
Viking
Emperor Gupta

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Whoever would export more Jaffa cakes to the US

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 17, 2014, 10:01:14 PM

I suspect we are not going to find out, after several years of recession the Labour lead in the opinion polls is pitiful and will probably be wiped out at the ballot box; especially as the government can probably afford some nice pre-election bribes now that the economy is growing pretty strongly. One thing he could do is knife Ed Balls in the back, Balls is unpopular and a constant reminder of economic disaster (fairly or unfairly), he is also shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer............not good for votes.

One thing that does worry me is that, depending on the share of the vote gained by the other parties, it is possible for Labour to be elected with an absolute majority of seats with only 32% of the vote. The current constituency boundaries favour them over the Tories by 30 seats or more for equivalent vote shares, we can blame the Lib Dems for this as they stymied boundary redrawing in a fit of pique after AV was rejected in the recent referendum.

Josquius

I don't know. Given the lib dems losing the left wing vote and UKIP eating away at the Tory right I think labour has a good chance.
The possible spoiler is UKIP taking away anti Europe traditional labour folks, but I think they'll hurt the Tories more
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 18, 2014, 01:19:14 AM
One thing that does worry me is that, depending on the share of the vote gained by the other parties, it is possible for Labour to be elected with an absolute majority of seats with only 32% of the vote. The current constituency boundaries favour them over the Tories by 30 seats or more for equivalent vote shares, we can blame the Lib Dems for this as they stymied boundary redrawing in a fit of pique after AV was rejected in the recent referendum.
I think the Tories will seriously regret campaigning against AV. It helped kill the boundary changes, but also I think they're the party who need it the most.

We could end up in a 1974 or 1951 situation where the Tories win the most votes but Labour win the most seats. But it's still very unclear. We don't know how much and where the Lib Dems have collapsed. We also don't know how well Ukip have done, even doubling their vote from 3% to 6% could have a big impact in several seats.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on April 17, 2014, 07:30:53 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 07:09:12 AM
The truth is too obvious. Ministers either think Scots are all stupid or are just trying to base the campaign on threats. People aren't stupid and, generally, we like optimistic and hopeful messages.

But since the basic SNP message amounts to "nothing that could possibly inconvenience a Scotsman will change" ("we will use the pound, we will immediately be in Europe, nothing will cost more" etc.) should the "no" campaign just ignore issues such as these? Or avoid pointing out the places where Salmond and his cronies are, at best, guilty of extremely wishful thinking (such as the recent issue about RN shipbuilding?)

Given the level of support Salmond attracts despite the number of times his statements and assumptions have been called into question (or revealed to be outright lies) one has to consider the possibility that a large number of Scots are simply "stupid". :(

If you want Scotland to remain part of the UK, you have to fight them on the same battlefields.

• The Past
Offer them your vision of the common past, how you came together to overcome adversity, what you have accomplished so far, how the sum of your parts make a stronger unit

• The Present
What is to be gained currently from being a British citizen, from being a part of the United Kingdom: economics, culture, ease of trade, ease of travel, etc, etc,

• The Future
What you will each lose by becoming seperate entities.  How will the economy be different, realistically, how will the cultures evolve, how likely is it that a treaty prepares for "successor states" without hassle, etc, etc.

Or if you want to follow the Canadian example, cheat.  Overspend the other party, lie, deceit, use scare tactics, organize illegal financing for the NO camp at taxpayers' expense, etc, etc.
You will win by a narrow margin but keep the question in the news for like, forever and risk another referendum in less than a quarter century.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall