Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 20, 2014, 08:27:33 AM
I would grab everything I'm eligible for.

Well you'd try, but you wouldn't reach the stuff on the top shelf.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2014, 08:29:54 AM

Even the government 'cheese' ? :unsure:

Yes. That shit was good back in the day. You could make fantastic Mac and Cheese out of it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2014, 08:31:47 AM

Well you'd try, but you wouldn't reach the stuff on the top shelf.

I am a fantastic 6 feet tall.

The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 20, 2014, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2014, 08:29:54 AM

Even the government 'cheese' ? :unsure:

Yes. That shit was good back in the day. You could make fantastic Mac and Cheese out of it.

10 or regular?

Ed Anger

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

The Brain

sbr

Quote from: LaCroix on April 19, 2014, 11:29:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2014, 11:06:41 PMBut to take your scenarios and posit a yes (as that seems to be the answer you would give). Is it similarly immoral for a university to accept a research grant, if they could afford to pay for the project anyhow? Is it immoral for a farmer to accept a subsidy for crop, even if they could afford to grow it without the subsidy? Is it immoral for a company to accept tax breaks to open a plant, even if they could in fact build and operate the plant at a profit without getting the subsidy? Is it immoral for a homeowner to write off their mortgage payments, even if they could afford to mortgage without the tax deduction?

in each of your scenarios there is a purpose to the subsidy. that purpose was not violated

pell grants are awarded to those students with financial need. that is the purpose of the program. the student in this scenario is aware of the social program's purpose, acknowledges his situation does not fit under that purpose, yet accepts the money regardless

if the financially secure universities, farmers, companies, and homeowners were all (legally) applying to programs and accepting money from those programs whose stated purpose was to assist financially insecure universities, farmers, companies, and homeowners, then, yes, i would say that would be immoral

I guess I am not familiar enough with the process, but how are all of these people legally and honestly applying for and getting need based money they don't need?  In my experience it is tough to get need based money when you do need it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2014, 10:46:13 PM
Who the hell turns down money they're legally entitled to?

I don't see what's immoral about accepting the grant money, unless it was fraudulently obtained. Is there some sort of moral imperative that states that the ideal for students is to be as poor as possible without accumulating debt?
This reminds me of the leftie groups in the UK who get very angry about companies and people legally reducing their tax bill.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

A classmate of my brother was  given an academic free ride at Swarthmore, so he turned down the Merit Scholarship money, which is not need based.  That's the only real world example I know of someone turning down legal free money.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on April 20, 2014, 08:51:18 AMI guess I am not familiar enough with the process, but how are all of these people legally and honestly applying for and getting need based money they don't need?  In my experience it is tough to get need based money when you do need it.

As I understand "need based" programs there are criteria and metrics in place to determine of someone qualifies. As you say, it can sometimes be very difficult to qualify, even if it seems pretty clear that you are in need.

Which is why I don't see why people expect others to apply a nebulous secondary set of morality based criteria and reject money they're entitled to of they otherwise qualify. To me it seems a rhetorical red herring relying in outliers and anecdotes to paint those who receive need-based help as "immoral".

If there's a scenario where plenty of people who don't need the money are getting need-based help, reform the criteria; don't impugn the morals of the people who qualify. And as you say, it's often pretty difficult to qualify for help when you need it.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 08:59:09 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2014, 10:46:13 PM
Who the hell turns down money they're legally entitled to?

I don't see what's immoral about accepting the grant money, unless it was fraudulently obtained. Is there some sort of moral imperative that states that the ideal for students is to be as poor as possible without accumulating debt?
This reminds me of the leftie groups in the UK who get very angry about companies and people legally reducing their tax bill.

Yeah exactly. The only difference is whether the bugaboo is "lazy poor people" or "evil corporations".

Personally, I'm not fond of big corporations paying zero tax through various clever schemes, but I don't blame them for doing so if it's possible. What those solutions should lead to is reform, rather than appeals to the morals of the corporations.