Korean ferry sinks, 304 Dead, mostly high school students

Started by jimmy olsen, April 15, 2014, 11:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm beginning to wonder if Publius Claudius Pulcher wasn't the captain.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2014, 11:37:27 AM
It's easy to blame the captain, but how many of us would be more prepared for such a calamity?  Personally, if I were in his place, I wouldn't even know where the gas pedal was on that thing.

Well, it's one thing to flee for your own life--that's just cowardice, which is at least understandable.  But why would you tell others to stay put below decks at that point?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2014, 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 18, 2014, 09:10:02 PM
I'm not clear what it is he did wrong here, other than not drowning to death.  Did he mismanage the crisis (to the extent he could manage it in his role as principal)?  Or somehow prioritize himself over his students?

He left before his charges were safe.  You don't leave children you are responsible for to die.  If he knew enough to leave, he knew enough to insist that all the students leave.  If not everyone could be saved, as many students as possible are saved, and no teachers survive.

Suddenly, a plan. :hmm:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2014, 11:37:27 AM
It's easy to blame the captain, but how many of us would be more prepared for such a calamity?
Leadership and Training

jimmy olsen

Two of the people at my church service knew teachers who went down with the ship.  :(

EDIT: Confirmed death toll at 52 :(
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/20/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Despicable <_<

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/21/south-korea-president-captain-murder
Quote"In a bitterly ironic twist to the saga, the Sewol's captain appeared in a 2010 promotional video promising that the ferry route between Incheon and Jeju was safe, provided passengers followed the crew's instructions.

"Passengers who take our ship ... can enjoy a safe and pleasant trip, and I believe it is safer than any other vehicle as long as they follow the instructions of our crew members," Lee said, according to transcripts of the message released by South Korean media."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Sounds absolutely brutal.

Makes it even worse that he's in Jindo, home to the worst liquor in the history of human civilization.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/ferry-disaster-a-grim-test-for-civilian-divers_926094.html

QuoteFerry disaster a grim test for civilian divers
Last Updated: Monday, April 21, 2014, 13:49

Jindo: Professional taekwondo teacher Lee Jun-Ho took up scuba diving eight years ago as a fun hobby.

It was never meant to lead him to the black, nightmarish world of a submerged ferry looking for the bloated bodies of hundreds of schoolchildren.

Last Wednesday, Lee, 41, was preparing for another day teaching children at his private taekwondo school in Gimhae, near the southern South Korean port city of Busan, when he heard reports of an unfolding ferry disaster off the southwest coast.

As the scale of the tragedy became apparent, Lee, who qualified as a diving instructor in 2008, packed his dive gear in his car and drove 160 miles (256 km) to Jindo island where a massive rescue effort was taking shape.

There he found scores of other civilian divers who had come individually or with their clubs to volunteer in the search for survivors in the submerged ferry, that was carrying 476 people -- most of them high school students -- when it sank.

"I have two young sons of my own," Lee told AFP in Jindo harbour Monday as he prepared to leave for another underwater search of the 6,825-tonne ship.

"The thought of all those schoolchildren trapped or worse was just unbearable, and I thought I had a duty to try and help save them," he said.

More than 500 divers, including elite South Korean Navy Seals, have been taking part in the rescue efforts -- many of them civilian divers with no real experience of such work.

"It was a bit of a mess at the beginning," Lee acknowledged, with military, coastguard and civilian dive teams struggling to coordinate their efforts.

The conditions in the immediate aftermath of the sinking were extremely challenging, with powerful currents and heavy swells buffeting the divers as they sought a way into the inverted, submerged ferry in near-zero visibility.

Not everybody welcomed the civilian divers' commitment.

"This isn't leisure diving. It's difficult, dangerous work and it's definitely not for amateurs," said Kim Do-Hyun, president of the Ship Salvage Unit, a grouping of former navy divers.

"If something happens to the volunteers, who will take responsibility? The authorities should have stepped in immediately and stopped them going in the water," Kim told AFP by phone from Seoul.

Most feel the civilian divers have proved their worth, and the sheer scale of the rescue and recovery task has clearly encouraged officials to turn a blind eye to qualifications in exchange for more manpower.

As of Monday morning, the confirmed death toll from the disaster stood at 64 but was expected to rise dramatically with 238 people still unaccounted for -- most of them schoolchildren.

With any hope of finding passengers surviving in air pockets all but extinguished, the rescue has effectively transitioned into a grim recovery operation.

And it was a team of civilian divers who retrieved the first bodies from inside the ferry early Sunday.

"The mood changed a lot after that," Lee said, with many of the amateurs deciding to leave once it became clear there were no survivors to be rescued.

But Lee stayed on.

"I'm proud of what we did and are still doing here, although it was obviously a huge disappointment not to find anyone alive.

"It's exhausting, but it's a job that needs to be done," he said.

Asked how he coped with the grim task of finding and recovering the bodies of the children, Lee's relentless optimism gave way.

"I really don't want to talk about that," he said.

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2014, 06:14:39 AM
Well he was wrong, now wasn't he?

Mr. President, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Clearly, this captain was not a believer in the Birkenhead Drill.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2014, 09:40:28 AM
Clearly, this captain was not a believer in the Birkenhead Drill.
To stand, and be still, to the Birkenhead Drill
Is a damned tough bullet to chew.

He doesn't strike me as a bullet-chewer.  I suspect he is vulnerable to the idea of assisted suicide, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.