News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Capital in the Twenty-First Century

Started by Sheilbh, April 15, 2014, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2019, 08:36:03 PM
How was Marxism an ideology of the majority?

"Workers" being greater in number than "owners of capital."

Oexmelin

Ah, ok.

But this is not what Sheilbh is saying, though. It's "majority ideology" vs "minority ideology" - it doesn't really relate to how many people it concerns itself with. In other words, the ideology of those who have power is peddled as a hegemonic "common sense", and opposing ideologies are therefore put in a defensive position of needing to be continuously be asserted, and justified against what is so evidently "natural". Jameson (a Marxist) put it best when he wrote that it was actually easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.

And he's right that this is more or less Gramsci's point that Piketty is weirdly casting in opposition to Marx. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Gotta run for karaoke night.  I'll try to gnaw on that when I come back.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2019, 08:36:03 PM
How was Marxism an ideology of the majority?

"Workers" being greater in number than "owners of capital."

Where you go wrong is attempting to understand dialectical materialism in liberal democratic terms of popular support.

Oexmelin

A suggestion for your karaoke night:

L'État comprime et la Loi triche,
L'impôt saigne le malheureux ;
Nul devoir ne s'impose au riche ;
Le droit du pauvre est un mot creux
C'est assez languir en tutelle,
L'Égalité veut d'autres lois ;
"Pas de droits sans devoirs, dit-elle
Égaux pas de devoirs sans droits."

C'est la lutte finale ;
Groupons nous et demain
L'Internationale
Sera le genre humain.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Give me a link to a melody.

Every year before I head to Montreal I say I'm going to get Ca Plane Pour Moi down and fucking blow their binds and I never do.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 26, 2019, 09:15:42 PM
Ah, ok.

But this is not what Sheilbh is saying, though. It's "majority ideology" vs "minority ideology" - it doesn't really relate to how many people it concerns itself with. In other words, the ideology of those who have power is peddled as a hegemonic "common sense", and opposing ideologies are therefore put in a defensive position of needing to be continuously be asserted, and justified against what is so evidently "natural". Jameson (a Marxist) put it best when he wrote that it was actually easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.

And he's right that this is more or less Gramsci's point that Piketty is weirdly casting in opposition to Marx.

OK.  Here's what I see.  It's just a rephrasing of the premise: that people "in power" have a need to legitimize themselves, but those out do not.

So I rephrase the question I asked Shelf: how does this premise obtain?

Malthus

According to the article, Piketty proposes two things.

1. That the notion of meritocracy has become fragile, because it has been captured by the rich.

2. That the very notion of meritocracy as a justification for wealth inequality is merely an ideological choice, and that other ideological choices are preferable.

The problem is that these two proposals pull in opposite directions. The first (which I believe has considerable merit) suggests that what is necessary is to re-enforce meritocracy by doing things to avoid the effects of the wealthy capturing it, such as universal equal education (proposed in the article). The second suggests we abandon meritocracy in favour of some new ideology.

Thing is, not all ideologies are equally workable. Here the article is dismissive of objections such as 'communism doesn't work'. Problem is, it is completely unclear whether abandoning meritocracy can create a society that actually functions or will simply lead to other sorts of self-interested "capture of the system" by others - as in, "all of us are equal, but I, who administer the system, am more equal than others".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

How do you compare different ideological choices against each other and determine which is preferable?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2019, 08:33:57 AM
How do you compare different ideological choices against each other and determine which is preferable?

Do a save before the choice and then reload and try another choice.  Use the best save outcome as the basis for further play.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 27, 2019, 08:39:26 AM

Do a save before the choice and then reload and try another choice.  Use the best save outcome as the basis for further play.

How do you determine which outcome is best?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2019, 08:08:08 AM
According to the article, Piketty proposes two things.

1. That the notion of meritocracy has become fragile, because it has been captured by the rich.

2. That the very notion of meritocracy as a justification for wealth inequality is merely an ideological choice, and that other ideological choices are preferable.

The problem is that these two proposals pull in opposite directions. The first (which I believe has considerable merit) suggests that what is necessary is to re-enforce meritocracy by doing things to avoid the effects of the wealthy capturing it, such as universal equal education (proposed in the article). The second suggests we abandon meritocracy in favour of some new ideology.

Thing is, not all ideologies are equally workable. Here the article is dismissive of objections such as 'communism doesn't work'. Problem is, it is completely unclear whether abandoning meritocracy can create a society that actually functions or will simply lead to other sorts of self-interested "capture of the system" by others - as in, "all of us are equal, but I, who administer the system, am more equal than others".  ;)

I think that is a misreading.  The proposal is not to replace meritocracy but to make a system that is based on merit.  If everyone has access to education and capital cannot be transferred between generations then the people who succeed are more likely to be the most meritorious.

The Brain

A society that won't let you provide for your children sounds horrible.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2019, 08:40:52 AM

Rawls had one answer to that question

Dworkin another

I am sure there are others too

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2019, 08:40:52 AM

Probably the one that results in the highest score.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?