Baby Charged with Attempted Murder, Goes Into Hiding in Pakistan

Started by garbon, April 08, 2014, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2014, 06:33:48 PM
I would have sworn I posted this story, but a search reveals nothing. Odd.  :huh:

You were too busy with your research into the LaWS platform the Brazen recommended to you.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2014, 01:31:44 PM
I never can tell with grumbles if it's just a funny quip (which it was), or meant as a sly dig at my "one question" comment from a couple days ago.
It was supposed to amuse.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

So is Pakistan the worst country in the world or the worst country in history?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 09, 2014, 07:27:10 PM
So is Pakistan the worst country in the world or the worst country in history?

Country with the most unruly infants?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2014, 01:31:44 PM
I stand by that technique.  As a prosecutor on cross-examination, you'll never ever get mom (it's always mom) to say something negative about their little angel, whether they are guilty or innocent.  So if I spend a lot of time on cross not only am I beating up on dear old mom on the stand, she's just repeating her story (and repetition adds to effectiveness).

So the "you really love your son" just reminds the trier of fact of the very powerful bias at work, and then you move on to the next witness.
Do you say it like Columbo? :o
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Not going to happen.  Apparently, the minimum age for criminal liability in Pakistan is 7, and the case should be dropped at some point.  Also, the inspector who filed charges was fired (suspended in this article, but others more recent say he was fired).
Experience bij!

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

crazy canuck

They couldnt locate Bin Laden living close to a major military base but when it comes to rounding up the serious offenders those guys go all out.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2014, 03:21:17 PM
They couldnt locate Bin Laden living close to a major military base but when it comes to rounding up the serious offenders those guys go all out.

Bin Laden wasn't colicy. That made him harder to find.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/world/asia/pakistan-drops-attempted-murder-charges-against-baby.html

We can all stop holding our collective breath.

QuotePolice Drop Charges Against Baby in Pakistan

A 9-month-old Pakistani boy will not be going to prison on attempted murder charges.

The baby, Musa Khan, became the focus of international attention in recent days when the local police took the unusual step of charging him along with four adults in connection with a violent protest in Lahore in February.

Critics say the charges reflected the tendency of the Pakistani police to lodge exaggerated complaints against poor families.

On Saturday, though, the police withdrew the charges against Musa, the baby's lawyer, Irfan Tarar, told The Associated Press.

The case against the baby led to widespread ridicule being heaped against the Pakistani legal system, particularly after little Musa was photographed crying while being fingerprinted — and he then had to be comforted with a bottle of milk. His family subsequently moved him out of Lahore to Faisalabad, citing safety reasons.

Musa, along with his father and grandfather, was accused of being part of a group of slum residents who threw stones at gas company workers as they tried to disconnect gas service from homes where the owners had not paid their bills.

The outcry over the charges led Shahbaz Sharif, the chief minister of Punjab Province and the brother of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, to order an inquiry into the matter.

Musa's lawyer, Mr. Tarar, had argued that children under 7 years old cannot be prosecuted under Pakistani law.

Musa had been free on bail pending Saturday's hearing, during which the judge allowed for the dismissal of the case against him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.