Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ old debts

Started by 11B4V, April 13, 2014, 10:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I have buried coffee cans full of silver coins for my family to dig up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2014, 09:44:00 AM
By the same token, though, federal law is bound by constitutional limits, and the IRS cannot deprive anyone of property without due process of law.  How simply seizing tax refunds in the absence of due process escapes being unconstitutional, I don't know.  I suspect one of out law-talkers can explain it.

From the article, it appears that the IRS is receiving a certification from a sister federal agency saying that a debt is owed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2014, 08:18:54 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 14, 2014, 07:54:29 AM
from a legal standpoint, the issue does not appear to be (at least at this time) that the Feds should not have withheld a tax refund from a woman, due to an overcharge, who directly/indirectly benefited from her father's social security

Unless there was an inheritance, I don't see how you can assume this.  We don't know how the parents spent the money.

Quotethe issue, as the attorney indicated, appears to be a potential constitutionality issue regarding a "retroactive lifting of the 10-year limit on debt collection"

How is this a constitutional issue?
Ex post facto law.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 14, 2014, 11:04:32 AM
I have buried coffee cans full of silver coins for my family to dig up.

Best way to go. No lawyers involved.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: Scipio on April 14, 2014, 12:59:32 PM
Ex post facto law.

I don't see any criminal penalties associated with this...
I don't see how it is a prohibited ex post facto law either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2014, 08:21:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2014, 06:50:19 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2014, 11:50:34 PM
household receives too much money from social security

years later the mistake is corrected by withholding tax refund from one member of that household

scandal
Somebody (no one knows who, because Feds didn't document)) receives too much money from the Feds. Thirty-seven years later, Feds arbitrarily pick eldest child of some dead guy to repay debt.  Scandal. 

LaCroix doesn't get it.  No scandal there.

Presumably she never received a cheque made out in her name for these benefits. And being a child* at the time wasn't she below the age of legal responsibility ?

*at what age do you become liable for debt,when can you legally sign a consumer credit deal for instance?

She was 21 in 1977 when the alleged overpayment occurred.  At the time, a child could continue to receive SS survivors' or dependents' benefits through age 21 if they remained a full-time student.  Up to age 18 IIRC the checks come to the parents or guardians, but from age 18 to age 21 the check came to the child, in the child's name.

The Supreme Court has generally ruled that the prohibition on ex post facto laws applies to criminal law;  as Capetan Mihali and grumbler have pointed out, no one appears to be charged with a crime here, so ex post facto issues aren't involved.  Due process issues seem to arise from at least 2 problems--the IRS should have to prove (and the alleged debtor have an opportunity to disprove) that there actually was an overpayment, and possibly more importantly, prove that the overpayment was actually made to the person from whom it is collecting the debt.

KRonn

I saw on the news that this program is being suspended due to complaints from people and Congress members. Interesting...