Men With Guns Are Also Active Elsewhere.

Started by mongers, April 12, 2014, 09:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Yes, because what the GOP needs is moar anti-intullektualist candidates.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 04:09:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2014, 03:58:33 PM
Dont worry, Jake, the collective mouthbreathers of Dumbfuckistan Nation will find another "hero", just like Bundy, and George Zimmerman before him, and on and on, never mind the little details.

Joe the Plumber is probably rested up for a second go.

He's in the UAW now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 03:04:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2014, 10:51:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think it's fair to claim Cliven Bundy as a spokesperson for "modern Conservatism".

Agreed, though I do think that the people who see Bundy as a spokesperson and cause celebre would identify their cause as "true Conservatism" or some such. That, of course, does not mean it actually is, and I certainly don't think the brand of Conservatism you espouse has much in common with Bundy and his merry band.

That said, whatever Conservative politicians and pundits who made utterances sympathetic to Bundy do contribute to the claims that he represent some form of Conservatism, and one they support in some manner. I expect there'll be fewer of them - the repudiations have already begun - since Bundy starting philosophizing about Negros being better off as slaves in public.

I suspect there are plenty of conservatives who sympathize with the slavery thing as well, they are just prevented from saying so by the tyranny of, "political correctness".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

I really don't think so. More likely Bundy is just going senile.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 24, 2014, 04:57:03 PM
I really don't think so. More likely Bundy is just going senile.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive.  Something like 25% of public thought the South was right.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/civil-war-still-divides-americans/

Caliga

Quote from: celedhring on April 24, 2014, 02:35:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's fair to claim Cliven Bundy as a spokesperson for "modern Conservatism".

Anybody else picturing Al Bundy every time this guy's being discussed?  :blush:
King King Bundy over here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I imagine he can still play a businessman on TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on April 15, 2014, 12:39:20 PM

Eh, why does the DoD own part of the Missouri River...?  :huh:

Probably Army Corp of Engineers and related to flood control.

Syt

Well, a least he likes the Hispanics: http://www.vox.com/2014/4/25/5651432/cliven-bundy-spanish-people

QuoteNow let me talk about the Spanish people. Now I understand that they come over here against our Constitution and cross our borders. But they're here, and they're people. And I've worked beside a lot of them. Don't tell me they don't work, and don't tell me they don't pay taxes. And don't tell me they don't have better family structures than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they're together, they picnic together, they're spending their time together. And I'll tell you, in my way of thinking, they're awful nice people. And we need to have those people going to be with us.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 24, 2014, 07:34:01 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 15, 2014, 12:39:20 PM

Eh, why does the DoD own part of the Missouri River...?  :huh:

Probably Army Corp of Engineers and related to flood control.
I think that you probably have it... land that is paid off on the Federal flood insurance program cannot, in some cases, be settled again, so the federal government buys it.  It would make sense that they turn it over to the ACoE.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 03:04:56 PM

Agreed, though I do think that the people who see Bundy as a spokesperson and cause celebre would identify their cause as "true Conservatism" or some such. That, of course, does not mean it actually is, and I certainly don't think the brand of Conservatism you espouse has much in common with Bundy and his merry band.

That said, whatever Conservative politicians and pundits who made utterances sympathetic to Bundy do contribute to the claims that he represent some form of Conservatism, and one they support in some manner. I expect there'll be fewer of them - the repudiations have already begun - since Bundy starting philosophizing about Negros being better off as slaves in public.

Yep, Bundy is getting hammered on this stuff and rightly so, and support dropping off for him. But the oveall issue is land management and that's been an issues in other states as well, and with other landowners small and large. Texas is also now fighting the BLM and they're not nearly as likely to roll over as Nevada as the Feds already own so much land in Nevada.