And we're back!

Main Menu

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Started by Syt, April 12, 2014, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Incidentally, I love the "German Syriza" faction they just revealed. :D

DGuller

Did they make any changes to UI?  What I found the most annoying about the game is that everything in the interface was a shade of blue, which made it extremely exhausting to look at.

garbon

I don't really understand how to preserve health in this game. I always end up with my cities growing a lot and even though I put a focus on health buildings / time improvements...always sliding into the negative. :blush:

Also, having finally installed this, my opinion is a bit different from the demo.  While still lacking a bit in atmosphere, I think it is enjoyable enough.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I played a bit this weekend, and thought it was a lot of fun.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2015, 09:59:19 AM
I don't really understand how to preserve health in this game. I always end up with my cities growing a lot and even though I put a focus on health buildings / time improvements...always sliding into the negative. :blush:

Also, having finally installed this, my opinion is a bit different from the demo.  While still lacking a bit in atmosphere, I think it is enjoyable enough.

There is a limit to health (or at least used to be) - a city can't produce more health than the number of its inhabitants. That might hamper you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 08:47:35 AM
Also, make sure you build a mining station near every resource in your territory, or the AI will come and take it, leaving you only the options of declaring war or buying it for retonculous amounts of money (planets can culture flip, stations can't).

Isn't that pretty much the same as GalCiv2?  I stopped playing with minor races because they would swoop in and grab all the resources before I could build constructors.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 10, 2015, 08:36:52 AM
How is GalCiv3? I should have gotten that instead of paying full price for this piece of shit. Had they released it as a paid for mod for 15 bucks for Civ V I'd be OK with it.
It is a nice game, but it's still a work in progress.  As of patch 1.02, there were still bugs and AI behavior problems wich they'll likely not fix.  I haven't played the later patches, but they promise to support it for a while.
Wait for a special and buy it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 17, 2015, 04:47:28 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 08:47:35 AM
Also, make sure you build a mining station near every resource in your territory, or the AI will come and take it, leaving you only the options of declaring war or buying it for retonculous amounts of money (planets can culture flip, stations can't).

Isn't that pretty much the same as GalCiv2?  I stopped playing with minor races because they would swoop in and grab all the resources before I could build constructors.

Well, GalCiv2 was really about station spam, so I may not have noticed. :blush:

GalCiv3 has kind of a "city radius" for each station, forcing you to spread them out some more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

So this is in sale for something like $14. Pull the trigger? Reviews seem to be rather mixed at best...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I did enjoy it a bit on release. I bought the expansion, but didn't really get back into it despite a somewhat improved (but still weird) diplomacy system and additional features like ocean based cities.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2016, 04:19:26 PM
So this is in sale for something like $14. Pull the trigger? Reviews seem to be rather mixed at best...
I played it once and never again.  It wasn't bad, just super meh.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2016, 04:51:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 28, 2016, 04:19:26 PM
I played it once and never again.  It wasn't bad, just super meh.

Yeah, I made it through about three games and put it away.

MadImmortalMan

I got it on the 75% off sale. I figured there was enough mods to made it cool by now. I think you should get an achievement if you can get it to run though. Like pulling teeth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Takes forever to load up the first time.  After that it's not so bad.  There's also a mod that you play with 12 players allowing all factions.  What really lets the game down is the lack of bells and whistles.  They needed to voice actors for each of the leaders, and to bring back wonder movies.  These things aren't gameplay elements but they really helped the feel of say, Alpha Centauri.  And really, what a game is suppose to do is make you feel something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017