News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on November 16, 2014, 03:13:32 AM
Last year they blew teams out and the knock was whether they could win the close one. This year they prove tenacious and unbeatable in the second half and are faulted for not blowing anyone out. It's getting tiring.

It is what not being in the SEC is all about.  You must suck and be inferior somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Muschamp out at Florida.  Twitter thinks RichRod would be a good replacement.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2014, 12:39:25 PM
It is what not being in the SEC is all about.  You must suck and be inferior somehow.

No, it's really about the close games, week in, week out. Teams like Alabama and Oregon are capable of playing at a level above their opponent the entire game and not just for one solid push.

I'm not saying Florida St. shouldn't be ranked #1. Just saying I don't think they'd be favored in a game against one of those teams.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on November 16, 2014, 12:40:40 PM
Muschamp out at Florida.

Praise Tebow.  Mad Zook look like Vince Lombardi.

QuoteTwitter thinks RichRod would be a good replacement.

That's why coaches coach, and Twitter twits.

alfred russel

Last year they blew teams out and the knock was whether they could win the close one. This year they prove tenacious and unbeatable in the second half and are faulted for not blowing anyone out. It's getting tiring.

No. We will see when the polls come out, but it is possible FSU hasn't played a single top 25 team. When the best opposition you have played is mediocre, and you basically look at their level even if you pull out the win, that isn't a case to be the best team in the country. Miami is a 500 ACC team. Coming into the game, the smart money seemed to be saying FSU was barely better than them, and while FSU covered (barely), that was hardly convincing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Rasputin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 01:01:08 PM

No, it's really about the close games, week in, week out. Teams like Alabama and Oregon are capable of playing at a level above their opponent the entire game and not just for one solid push.

I'm not saying Florida St. shouldn't be ranked #1. Just saying I don't think they'd be favored in a game against one of those teams.
they might not be favored in Vegas but I don't think either Oregon or Bama would want to open the semis against FSU give a team that's lost a game already as an alternate.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: alfred russel on November 16, 2014, 01:27:03 PM

No. We will see when the polls come out, but it is possible FSU hasn't played a single top 25 team. When the best opposition you have played is mediocre, and you basically look at their level even if you pull out the win, that isn't a case to be the best team in the country. Miami is a 500 ACC team. Coming into the game, the smart money seemed to be saying FSU was barely better than them, and while FSU covered (barely), that was hardly convincing.

We've beaten four teams who were top 25 at kickoff. Their stats are skewed now that they all have an extra loss.

All I know is if FSU were in the sec and barely winning their sec games, espn would jizz all over themselves calling FSU the team of destiny. If anyone doubts this look at auburns press coverage last year.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

I do agree with Dorsey that Miami sucks ass and a win against the canes is no longer very impressive
Who is John Galt?

Eddie Teach

And Gurley apparently tore his ACL.  :frusty:

Nick Chubb for Heisman?

sbr

As an Oregon fan I would rather play fsu in semis rather than Alabama

alfred russel

Quote from: Rasputin on November 16, 2014, 06:46:07 PM

We've beaten four teams who were top 25 at kickoff. Their stats are skewed now that they all have an extra loss.

All I know is if FSU were in the sec and barely winning their sec games, espn would jizz all over themselves calling FSU the team of destiny. If anyone doubts this look at auburns press coverage last year.

The stats aren't skewed because they have an extra loss. Some of those ranked teams barely fell when losing to FSU. The stats are skewed because the teams were overrated earlier in the season when FSU played them.

Here is the AP top 5, vs how many current top 25 teams they have played:

1. FSU: 0 (none left on schedule)
2. Alabama: 2 (1 more on schedule)
3. Oregon: 4 (none left on schedule)
4. Mississippi State: 2 (1 left on schedule)
5. TCU: 3 (none left on schedule)
6. Baylor: 2 (1 left on schedule)
7. Ohio State: 1 (none left on schedule)
8. Ole Miss: 2 (1 left on schedule)
9. Georgia: 2 (1 left on schedule)
10. Michigan State: 3 (none left on schedule)

So there you have it. FSU is the only top 10 team to have not played a top 25 team, and the only top 10 team without even having a top 25 team on their schedule. In fact, excluding Ohio State, every other team has a minimum of 3 current top 25 teams on their schedule that they have played or will have played.

No one with any sense, or even a talking head on ESPN, is going to jizz all over a team that plays an incredibly weak schedule and is very fortunate to beat any competition with a pulse.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 06:58:40 PM

Nick Chubb for Heisman?

I assume this had to be a joke, but I don't get it.

Gurley was out of the running a long time ago, and I have n no idea who Chubb is.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on November 16, 2014, 07:18:32 PM

If you look at some of the advanced statistical approaches to ranking teams (looking at play and drive outcomes in addition to raw scores), FSU is not highly rated. Their F/+ rating heading into last week's game was #9. Alabama was #1.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feiplus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on November 16, 2014, 07:24:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 06:58:40 PM

Nick Chubb for Heisman?

I assume this had to be a joke, but I don't get it.

Gurley was out of the running a long time ago, and I have n no idea who Chubb is.

Chubb is the backup running back who's been carrying the load since Gurley got suspended.

Rasputin

Quote from: alfred russel on November 16, 2014, 07:25:53 PM
Quote from: sbr on November 16, 2014, 07:18:32 PM

If you look at some of the advanced statistical approaches to ranking teams (looking at play and drive outcomes in addition to raw scores), FSU is not highly rated. Their F/+ rating heading into last week's game was #9. Alabama was #1.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feiplus

Thank god statistical models don't play the game
Who is John Galt?