News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
So the guy signalling TD *should* have blown the whistle, killing the play?

Yeah, that's the weird thing, why would the referee run in signalling TD and not blow the whistle?  Just assumed the side judge did?

Though in the 50+ times I have watched that play I have never seen the referee running in signalling TD, I am always looking at other things. One of my favorites, from a very wide angle, show Utah QB Travis Wilson running across the field very obviously from the Utah sideline.

By the way, I changed the channel when Clay got to the 5 yard line.  I had no idea any of that happened until a few minutes later when I saw the 7-7 score on a ticker update.  :lol: Thank hod for Tivo.

Berkut

Not if it was the R (white hat). He would signal touchdown generally just to mirror for the press box. He would never, ever, EVER blow a whistle for a TD unless he never wants to work as a white hat again.

The signal isn't really meaningful - it is just a means of communicating, it doesn't actually change the status of anything.

A whistle, in theory, is the same, except that a whistle does cause the ball to become dead, but in 99% of the cases this is an error.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

The ref signalling a TD is signalling a TD at the other end - he is signalling the Oregon TD.

Which he would do (and even potentially blow his whistle in that case, since this would be reverse mechanics) since he has goal line coverage on the return (he basically becomes the back judge on a long turnover).

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Ref looks to me very much like he is being corrected by the other two.

dps

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 02:10:58 PM

Not if it was the R (white hat). He would signal touchdown generally just to mirror for the press box. He would never, ever, EVER blow a whistle for a TD unless he never wants to work as a white hat again.

The signal isn't really meaningful - it is just a means of communicating, it doesn't actually change the status of anything.

A whistle, in theory, is the same, except that a whistle does cause the ball to become dead, but in 99% of the cases this is an error.

What?  Are you saying that 99% of the time when an official blows his whistle to signal the play dead, it's and error and the play shouldn't have been blown dead yet?  Wouldn't it be the opposite--that 99%+ of the time, the play is dead, and only 1% (of less) it's an early whistle?  God, I hope 99% of the plays aren't blown dead early.

Berkut

I am saying that in 99% of the time that the whistle causes the ball to become dead, this is an error. Because the whistle should almost never cause the ball to become dead, it should just be letting the players know it is already dead.

There are some very unusual cases where the whistle can make the ball become dead when it isn't already and this is NOT an inadvertent whistle, like a illegal forward pass after a kick or something bizarre like that.

0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2014, 02:53:38 PM
I am saying that in 99% of the time that the whistle causes the ball to become dead, this is an error. Because the whistle should almost never cause the ball to become dead, it should just be letting the players know it is already dead.

There are some very unusual cases where the whistle can make the ball become dead when it isn't already and this is NOT an inadvertent whistle, like a illegal forward pass after a kick or something bizarre like that.

Ah, OK.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2014, 02:18:54 PM
Ref looks to me very much like he is being corrected by the other two.

No, look where he is standing - he is right on the goal line. He followed the play back down the field to the other end (as he should).

He then went over to the other officials and I am sure what he is saying is "What the hell happened down there???". After the pass, the R stays with the QB, and this was a 80 yard TD pass, so he would not be anywhere near the Utah end zone.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Jameis Winston securely in the TMZ zone now.

TMZ reporting that the NCAA is investigating him for potential points shaving.  :lol:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/09/jameis-winston-ncaa-investigating-point-shaving-allegations/

Meanwhile, the line on the Miami / FSU game is down to 1.5 in at least one place earlier today.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Lets summarize all the things Winston has been accused of (I am sure he is innocent of all of these):

-stealing drinks from a fast food joint
-shooting squirrels with a bb gun in the city
-shouting inappropriate things in the student union
-rampant douchebaggery in interviews
-selling autographs
-crab legs
-point shaving
-raping a girl
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

sbr

The point shaving thing is BS.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on November 12, 2014, 01:05:29 AM
The point shaving thing is BS.

This isn't the first time that a FSU QB has faced accusations of point shaving. Remember Adrian McPherson? That went to trial, including having Bobby Bowden as a witness (Bowden said it was one of the lowest points of his career).

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2014, 11:18:35 PM
Lets summarize all the things Winston has been accused of (I am sure he is innocent of all of these):

-stealing drinks from a fast food joint
-shooting squirrels with a bb gun in the city
-shouting inappropriate things in the student union
-rampant douchebaggery in interviews
-selling autographs
-crab legs
-point shaving
-raping a girl

If I'm making draft-day decisions for an NFL team, the rape, stealing, and point shaving accusations give me pause.  The selling autographs thing is a bit bad because it shows a lack of respect for the rules, even if it's rules that should be changed.  Shouting inappropriate things in the student union is just being a normal college kid.  Nobody likes a douchebag, but plenty of successful NFL quarterbacks have been douchebags, going back at least to Benny Friedman.  And there's nothing wrong with shooting squirrels with a BB gun.

derspiess

So anyone watch the 30 for 30 on Randy Moss last night?  Overall it was pretty good.  Kind of allowed him to tell some of the controversial stuff from his perspective without much from the other side, but there was a lot of footage (mostly from high school) that I had never seen.

I was never particularly fond of him, and rooted against him every chance I got (save for the one season I drafted him for my fantasy team).  But man, you can't help but admire his physical talent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall