And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Wyoming changed coaches because things went badly here.  Now there is a rebuilding year.  I hope someday there isn't a rebuilding year and Wyoming can be successful.

In the end, there isn't enough beer to be a happy Wyoming fan.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on May 16, 2014, 11:05:42 PM
Wyoming changed coaches because things went badly here.  Now there is a rebuilding year.  I hope someday there isn't a rebuilding year and Wyoming can be successful.

In the end, there isn't enough beer to be a happy Wyoming fan.

Is that why wyoming has so much meth?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

And a happy 135th birthday to michigan football.  They played their first game may 30th, 1879, defeating Racine 1-0.  It was described at the time as as "certainly the finest game of [football] played [west of] the Alleghenies."

It was.  Of course, it was also the first game of football played west of the Alleghenies!  :lol: 

There were only eight teams that year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

So you are saying Michigan had a top 10 team that year?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

And did you manage to catch that game?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2014, 09:50:26 PM

Yes, Michigan was a top 10 team the very first year they competed.  In fact, they didn't give up a single point that year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2014, 08:47:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2014, 09:50:26 PM

Yes, Michigan was a top 10 team the very first year they competed.  In fact, they didn't give up a single point that year.

A truly dominating defense, but the offense was poor with no touchdowns or field goals. If not for a very controversial decision to allow Michigan to kick an extra point despite not scoring a touchdown, Michigan would not have scored all season.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 31, 2014, 01:36:06 PM
A truly dominating defense, but the offense was poor with no touchdowns or field goals. If not for a very controversial decision to allow Michigan to kick an extra point despite not scoring a touchdown, Michigan would not have scored all season.

:huh:  Michigan scored a touchdown against Racine early in the second half.  You must have been getting out getting popcorn, or fucking a pig, or something, when that happened.

However, touchdowns didn't score points in the game at that point.  They just allowed a team to kick the goal (essentially, a drop-kicked extra point) at any later point in the game.  The fact that Michigan scored a goal means that, by definition, they had already scored a touchdown.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

We are less than two months from kick off people.

Get ready to celebrate Meth:

And embrace the high brow intellectual climate of the University setting:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Dan Dierdorf has come out of retirement to do the color commentary on the Michigan radio show.  He'll be teamed with the guy who used to line up just outside him at tackle on those Michigan teams, Jim Brandstatter.  The sideline guy is Jon Jansen, who was an All-American right tackle on the 1997 national championship team and, like Dierdorf, an all-pro.

Think they are going to talk about the offensive line much?  :lol:

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Jesus that might be the one time you mute the radio to listen to the TV broadcast.

Ed Anger

Big Ten network has started going into football overdrive.  :cool:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

So, Ohio State's band director gets fired because it turns out that his band has the same fucked up culture as the rest of the campus: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/07/24/ohio-state-band-waters.html

QuoteOhio State fires band director Jonathan Waters over 'sexualized' culture

Ohio State University has fired the director of its marching band and is expanding an internal investigation that uncovered a deep culture of sexual harassment among students that reportedly has existed for years.

The two-month investigation, triggered by the complaint of a parent, revealed a cascade of evidence that students routinely harassed one another –– often directed at new band members by older students –– and that director Jonathan Waters knew about it or should have known.

Waters, 38, was ousted from his post effective today, OSU President Michael V. Drake said. Details of the investigation are laid out in a 23-page report obtained by The Dispatch.

Some of the report:
QuoteWhen asked to estimate how many current nicknames are sexual or offensive, Waters responded that "fifty percent" probably were "questionable." When asked whether he thought such sexual nicknames are appropriate, Waters answered, "No." When asked why he then tolerates such sexual nicknames, Waters replied, "Good point."

Tricks
Witnesses stated that "tricks" are acts individual Band members perform, either on command or at  their own volition. Several witnesses described how tricks are assigned to rookies, and often are performed throughout their entire tenure in the Band. The tricks are usually connected to the students' assigned nicknames. Several witnesses provided examples of sexually explicit tricks assigned to and performed by new Band members given sexually explicit nicknames. Examples of tricks include:

A female student sitting on laps and pretending to orgasm. This included her sitting on her younger brother's lap and pretending to orgasm on "make the Band night." Her nickname was "Squirt."

A female student thumping the ground with her foot and pretending to orgasm. Her nickname was "Thumper."

Two females rubbing their chests together. Their nicknames were "Jewoobs" and "Tiggles."

A male student conducting a full-body demonstration of a flaccid penis becoming erect and spitting candy. This trick was also occasionally performed with another female student who pretended to stimulate the male student. His nickname was "Jizzy."

A male student stamping other students' foreheads with a penis stamp. His nickname was "Mushroom Stamp."

A male student chanting, "haaaay, we want some pusssaay." His nickname was "Captain Dildo."

A female student pretending to be a vibrating sex toy. Her nickname was "ERV", which stood for "E Row Vibrator."
In addition, as recently as September 2013, a series of events related to the University of California game demonstrate Waters' notice of a hostile environment. Pam Bork, Physical Therapy Manager with Student Health Services who volunteered for 18 years with the Band, resigned from the Band after the game because of students' alcohol abuse and Waters' reluctance to address the problem.

Bork reported to Waters that students were drinking excessively on the trip. She stated that Waters did not want to discuss the topic of drinking with the Marching Band and suggested that she should do so. On that bus trip, she said to Waters: "If I have to hear the word 'penis' or 'vagina' one more time, I'm going to scream." According to Bork, she also witnessed a "flying 69" being performed on her bus, which is also the bus Waters monitored. Bork relayed that other students (non-Band members) who were on this bus were "horrified" by this atmosphere. Bork added that she was concerned that someone would get hurt and that she quit the Band because she believed "something bad was going to happen." Bork then referenced a sexual assault that had occurred as what she feared could come to pass.

The staff interpreted Bork's concern as being limited to drinking. Smith stated that the students' alcohol consumption bothered Bork. He added that she was concerned she would lose her license if someone became seriously ill because of alcohol poisoning. Hoch stated that they followed up on Bork's report of alcohol consumption and did not find any problems. 

Sounds a lot like another famous college sports case where authorities ignored a clear problem because they were afraid to "damage the image..."

Bayraktar!