Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2014, 04:16:28 AM
I don't know which is worse, the fudgepackers and social justice warrior online lynch mob, or the increasing amount of Consevatard emails telling everybody to uninstall Firefox. Like they know how. They have to get their nephew to do it.

Bleh.

Well yes and that is the other thing.  The other team does this to.  Oh joy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2014, 08:04:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2014, 08:16:28 AM
Because his ouster doesn't have me concerned nor do I take it as as an indictment on the state of modern politics. I can't wait for the day when positions like his are only held by troglodytes and kept to oneself. No tears for the man who donated to an organization whose aim was to take rights away from a subgroup.

Ok well that is what we are concerned about.  Not sure why that means we are shedding tears or defending him or why having a concern about modern politics repels you for some reason. 

Maybe you should read the thread. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I don't know which is worse, the fudgepackers and social justice warrior online lynch mob, or the increasing amount of Consevatard emails telling everybody to uninstall Firefox. Like they know how. They have to get their nephew to do it.

Bleh.

I really can't muster enough energy to get worked up about it.  As a liberal I theoretically support gay rights, but in practice I have my brother as the closest example of gays in my life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2014, 08:41:18 PM

Bleh.

I really can't muster enough energy to get worked up about it.  As a liberal I theoretically support gay rights, but in practice I have my brother as the closest example of gays in my life.

:yes:

The forces of Marti-ism must be fought on every front. If all fudge packers must suffer to stop it, so be it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2014, 08:15:45 PM
Maybe you should read the thread. :)

A non-answer followed by a sarcastic smilie.  Fun fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2014, 08:45:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2014, 08:41:18 PM

Bleh.

:yes:

The forces of Marti-ism must be fought on every front. If all fudge packers must suffer to stop it, so be it.

My younger brother is a terribly unpleasant person.  He shrieks profanities at my parents and makes them wait on him.  And they just take it.  Last time he shrieked at me I told him that if he didn't shut if goddamn mouth I would shove broken glass into his eyes.  He avoids me now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2014, 03:11:40 PM
"The Bible made me do it" is not a relevant defense among adults.

In a democracy people generally don't have to provide a defense for their positions.

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2014, 10:52:57 PM
My younger brother is a terribly unpleasant person.  He shrieks profanities at my parents and makes them wait on him.  And they just take it.  Last time he shrieked at me I told him that if he didn't shut if goddamn mouth I would shove broken glass into his eyes.  He avoids me now.

Relationships like that are rarely the fault of only one party.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2014, 10:58:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2014, 03:11:40 PM
"The Bible made me do it" is not a relevant defense among adults.

In a democracy people generally don't have to provide a defense for their positions.

Elaborate.

Freedom of thought.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2014, 08:09:17 PM
I still cannot get over thinking it is a bit much to have somebody's career and life be ruined is equivalent to defending him.  But yes I do not think Hindus, Muslims and even Neo-Nazis should all be fired from their jobs.

Who says all bigots should be fired? As I said in EUOT, nobody would care if the lead plugin programmer had donated to a white supremacist party. But this was the CEO and as such he would have represented the company. Not to mention control of HR policies and funds for donations.

Jacob

Yeah, I think there's a significant difference between a CEO and pretty much any other position at a company.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on April 07, 2014, 01:49:23 AM
Who says all bigots should be fired? As I said in EUOT, nobody would care if the lead plugin programmer had donated to a white supremacist party. But this was the CEO and as such he would have represented the company. Not to mention control of HR policies and funds for donations.

True.  If there was any evidence somebody had ever or would ever use their position to advance their unpopular ideology or had ever spoken out publicly about it.  Of course the person in question had held a similarly high position in the company for an extended period of time and had never done that and stated publicly he would continue to carry out the policies of the company in these matters. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2014, 01:21:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2014, 10:52:57 PM

Relationships like that are rarely the fault of only one party.

Like I said, they just take it.  A few beatings help his disposition immensely.

Eddie Teach

I was referring to your own relationship with your brother. But they're his parents, they helped mold him into the unpleasant profanity-shrieker he is. :contract:

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2014, 06:54:05 AM
Yeah, I think there's a significant difference between a CEO and pretty much any other position at a company.
Problem is that he wasn't a CEO back when he made the donation, so in effect we now expand the list of people who shouldn't do anything some vocal minority will dislike to all CEO hopefuls.  Of course, if you're not a CEO hopeful and are a little clever, you should probably still preemptively put yourself on that list, because who knows what other positions at your future place of employment will become "representative of the company", with all the corresponding retroactive re-calibration of standards.