SC rules that elected Judges can't rule on major backers

Started by jimmy olsen, June 08, 2009, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I've always though (and some law talker can certainly correct me if I am wrong) that judges would err on the side of making sure that not only was there no bias, there was no appearance of bias either.

Is that not the case?

I cannot see, in this case, how one can argue that there was not at least the appearance of interest, if not bias.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2009, 09:57:07 AM
I've always though (and some law talker can certainly correct me if I am wrong) that judges would err on the side of making sure that not only was there no bias, there was no appearance of bias either.

Is that not the case?

I cannot see, in this case, how one can argue that there was not at least the appearance of interest, if not bias.

You are correct.  These cases are always decided on the basis of appearance of bias.  The term used is the reasonable apprehension of bias (at least in Canada).  I assume the issue before the USSC is whether the facts in the case met a similar standard.   I can see the minority argument that there will always be some potential bias in a system where judges are elected.  The question is whether the apprehension of bias rises to the level where recusal is necessary.  The majority said yes the minority said no.  I see this as a case where reasonable people could disagree.

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 08, 2009, 06:52:23 PM
liberal judges decide to take the law in their own hands and turn to vigilante justice.

God damn it Hans I thought you were going to say 'leftist' from now on.  You disgrace John Locke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Considering the entire Texas justice system is put into office through crooked money I wonder if judges will be able to rule on any cases anymore.  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2009, 09:57:07 AM

Is that not the case?

Yes.

QuoteThe West Virginia Code of Judicial Conduct also requires a judge to "disqualify himself or herself in a proceeding in which the judge's impartiality might reasonably be questioned." Canon 3E(1); see also 28 U. S. C. ยง455(a) ("Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned").

The question is where a judge's failure to adhere to those standards of conduct rises to the level of a federal constitutional violation.  According to the majority:

QuoteUnder our precedents there are objective standards that require recusal when "the probability of actual bias on the part of the judge or decisionmaker is too high to be constitutionally tolerable."