News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stoltenberg new NATO chief

Started by Norgy, March 28, 2014, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26791044

QuoteNorway's ex-PM Jens Stoltenberg has been appointed Nato's next secretary general, replacing Denmark's Anders Fogh Rasmussen

He will take over as leader of the 28-nation military alliance in October, when Mr Rasmussen steps down after a Nato summit in Wales.

Mr Rasmussen has headed Nato for the past five years.

Mr Stoltenberg was prime minister of Norway at the time of Anders Breivik's bomb and gun attacks in 2011.

Breivik killed 77 people when he targeted government buildings in Oslo and young people and officials at a youth camp run by Mr Stoltenberg's Labour party.

Continue reading the main story
Meet Nato's new chief

Mr Rasmussen said on Twitter that Mr Stoltenberg was "the right man to build on Nato's record of strength and success".

He added that the Ukraine crisis demonstrated the need for Nato to show strong and determined leadership.

Mr Rasmussen expressed concern on Friday about the "huge military build-up" by Russian forces on Ukraine's borders.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron said Norway's ex-prime minister would "bring a wealth of experience to this role at the helm of the transatlantic alliance and he will take over during a crucial year in the history of the organisation".

As well as tackling the crisis in Ukraine, Mr Cameron said he would lead the withdrawal of Nato-led forces in Afghanistan at the end of the year.

In its statement, Nato said: "Mr Stoltenberg will assume his functions as secretary general as from 1 October 2014, when Mr Fogh Rasmussen's term expires after five years and two months at the helm of the alliance."

This IS so going to rile up the moron brigade in Norway it's almost worth losing a great leader.

The Brain

The Secretary General has determined that misspelling is dangerous to your butt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

fanboi

Anyways, time for "House of Giske"

and 12 years of Blue-Blue government.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2014, 02:51:42 PM
The Secretary General has determined that misspelling is dangerous to your butt.

Better?
And forgetting words in sentences isn't misspelling, it's called "ageing".

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 02:54:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2014, 02:51:42 PM

Better?
And forgetting words in sentences isn't misspelling, it's called "ageing".

I haven't read the OP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

He's the most inoffensive mangina I can imagine but he should know a thing or 2 about how Russians roll.  :hmm: Which is what NATO needs right now.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Norgy

Viking

Quote from: Legbiter on March 28, 2014, 03:02:28 PM
He's the most inoffensive mangina I can imagine but he should know a thing or 2 about how Russians roll.  :hmm: Which is what NATO needs right now.

well, did he learn that sucking up to russia over shtockman was bound to fail?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Are we trending toward a Scandi-only NATO rule, much like the IMF must be headed by a Yuro and the World Bank by a Yank?

Neil

It seems like a nice sinecure.  Let's not kid ourselves though:  The US President is the leader of NATO.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Norgy

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 03:07:46 PM
It seems like a nice sinecure.  Let's not kid ourselves though:  The US President is the leader of NATO.

True, and that's why Stoltenberg's ability to win friends and influence people might be a good thing. He won't decide much, just continue building. His father was a top-notch foreign minister.

Viking

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 03:07:46 PM

True, and that's why Stoltenberg's ability to win friends and influence people might be a good thing. He won't decide much, just continue building. His father was a top-notch foreign minister.

Yeah, daddy really aced that Yugoslavia peace negotiation thing.

Admiral Yi

Legbiter

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2014, 03:07:03 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 28, 2014, 03:02:28 PM

well, did he learn that sucking up to russia over shtockman was bound to fail?

Wasn't that some joint-development gas deal with the Russkies that fell through?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.