Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2011, 06:49:00 AM
I fucking hate you all.
:yes:

Why oh why did we stop with Nagasaki? :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2011, 11:11:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2011, 10:48:08 PM
The Kenshin OVAs were massively overrated.
What!? Name one OVA or anime movie that tops it.
Barefoot Gen.  The new Eva movies.  Assorted older stuff.

Kenshin's back story was better when it was untold.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 28, 2011, 07:02:08 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2011, 06:49:00 AM
I fucking hate you all.
:yes:

Why oh why did we stop with Nagasaki? :bleeding:

Animetards raise the eternal question: Did we nuke Japan too much, or not enough?

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2011, 12:17:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2011, 10:34:35 PMOther great animes
Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood)
Basilisk

Still have those on my to watch list. Still surprised you never watched Legend o.G. Heroes  - that would seem to be right up your alley.
Too old-school for his tastes.  But yeah, LOTGH was awesome.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Im watching Samurai 7.
I left it yesterday at episode 12.
Good sci-fi remake of Seven Samurais.

By the way yesterday I watched "The 13 Assassins".
Mindblowing. Best live action samurai movie since Ran.

There is an scene, early in the movie, that got to me.
When the main character was informed of his mission.
A classic. Whoever wrote it knows about war.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Savonarola

I recommend:

Kino's Journey

A young girl and her magical talking motor cycle travel through a number of small countries.  Each episode deals with a single country and she stays for only three days in each of them.  Each country has its quirks/dark secrets/what have you which could be viewed as a criticism of our own culture or society.  It plays out as something of a Japanese "Gulliver's Travels" but without the scatology and the bitterness.

Lain

This one is in the tradition of Neuromancer, where there's a wired world and the real world and the borders between the two blur.  What makes this one stand out is that the series relies heavily on ambiguity so that the viewer must work out for himself what is real and what is imagined.

Cromartie High

Part of the fun of any foreign (or sufficiently old) media is that you bring your own culture to it rather than the culture which created it and you often derive a different meaning from what was originally intended.  In this case the show is a wildly anarchic comedy which is loaded with pop cultural references; westerners likely won't understand those references which makes the series even more bizarre.  The closest thing I've ever seen to this is the early Fleisher Brother cartoons in which David Fleisher insisted that every single scene have a gag.  They seem to have adopted the same mentality here and gotten equally wacky results.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Drakken

The only good anime is a dead anime - and a dead animetard.

Josquius

Animetards need lining up against a wall and shooting.
Anime however is a valid medium, there is some good stuff out there amidst the schoolgirl tentacle rape.
Some of those mentioned I like.  Also good is Beck. And Golden Boy.
██████
██████
██████