College athletes can unionize, federal agency says

Started by jimmy olsen, March 27, 2014, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2014, 11:39:08 AM
Should high school athletes be considered employees?  Musicians?  Actors?

Some soccer players maybe actors, but not generally I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 27, 2014, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 11:43:52 AMthere isn't any principal being violated by the mere missing of classes.

Well I'd hope they were playing sports during those times, not doing *that*. :unsure:  :P
:lol:  Damn spell-correct!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 11:46:26 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 11:40:54 AM
College athletics has already been litigated. College athletic scholarships aren't taxable. Rulings by the labor relations board doesn't overturn existing tax case law.

The case of graduate student instructors had already been litigated, and then the law (and tax law) changed when GSIs at some universities declared themselves employees and formed unions.

We shall see. I would bet quite a bit that college athletes don't have to pay taxes on their scholarships.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

I thought the NLRB shot down the GSIs on the basis that they were "primarily" doing their teaching (i.e. work) to fulfill a requirement for their own education.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 27, 2014, 11:56:53 AM
I thought the NLRB shot down the GSIs on the basis that they were "primarily" doing their teaching (i.e. work) to fulfill a requirement for their own education.
There is a tax difference between Graduate Assistants (not employees) and GSI (are employees).  As far as I can tell, that difference is just that GSIs are GAs who have formed a union and declared themselves employees but that may be too simplified.

Remember that NRLB rulings apply only to private schools.  At public universities, any employees are public employees and so bound by their own state's rules.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

In a blaze of glory?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 12:05:05 PM
There is a tax difference between Graduate Assistants (not employees) and GSI (are employees).

Ah right.  I think that was sort of the purpose of the GSI appellation in the first place.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

grumbler

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 06:30:57 AM
I don't see why anyone would advocate the elimination of college sports, like Timmay does.

He said death to the NCAA.  Not death to college sports.  Not the same thing.

You can't have inter-collegiate sports without an agreed set of rules and framework to enforce them.

Correct.  But that leaves a lot of room to discuss what those rules and frameworks should be.
Something like an NCAA is needed, but not necessarily the NCAA we have.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 12:41:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 27, 2014, 06:30:57 AM
I don't see why anyone would advocate the elimination of college sports, like Timmay does.

He said death to the NCAA.  Not death to college sports.  Not the same thing.

You can't have inter-collegiate sports without an agreed set of rules and framework to enforce them.

Correct.  But that leaves a lot of room to discuss what those rules and frameworks should be.
Something like an NCAA is needed, but not necessarily the NCAA we have.

Perhaps one could go further and say certainly not the NCAA we have today.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
Athletics are (or imo at least should be) an integral part of the educational experience. I don't see any contradiction with the educational mission of a university to miss a small number of classes to participate in athletic events.

Sure, as long as the dog is the one wagging the tail and not the other way around.
But if you get to the point where non-trivial numbers of students are being admitted without proper academic preparation and qualification and little is done to educate them, it starts to look like a chihuahua hanging off a sauropod tail.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 12:41:39 PMSomething like an NCAA is needed, but not necessarily the NCAA we have.

You go to college athlete unionization with the NCAA you have, not the NCAA you wish you had.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2014, 12:47:22 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
Athletics are (or imo at least should be) an integral part of the educational experience. I don't see any contradiction with the educational mission of a university to miss a small number of classes to participate in athletic events.

Sure, as long as the dog is the one wagging the tail and not the other way around.
But if you get to the point where non-trivial numbers of students are being admitted without proper academic preparation and qualification and little is done to educate them, it starts to look like a chihuahua hanging off a sauropod tail.

Certainly not at Northwestern.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel