News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Vietnam War

Started by alfred russel, March 24, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Isn't it kind of crazy to think that Vietnam vets are all old and about to enter die off phase? Only a few more batters to go before our generations step to the plate.  :)

Anyway, we never talk about Vietnam here. I was reading about Vietnam recently, so figured I'd start a thread. Basically, I think Nixon & the hawks were as wrong in the 1950s as the hawks in the early 2000s. But I'm not sure Nixon basically didn't get it right once he became president (if only because of public pressure) and the general strategy would have found success if attempted by Johnson. Incursions into Laos and Cambodia with stepped up bombing of the North and an overall strategy of Vietnamization were the only policies that really made sense with an American commitment.

The Johnson administration really messed up by putting in so many troops without being willing to cut off the Ho Chi Minh Trail (at the least). The troops not only began to look like occupiers, but with so much prestige on the line made South Vietnam an extremely valuable target for the USSR.

Also, our long run strategy looks really bad. We put in an enormous amount of effort in the 60s, but in the mid 70s weren't willing to put in far far less to keep the south from being overrun.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

The only strategy that ever made sense was invading or at least destroying the north.  We weren't willing to do that, so why bother doing anything?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

The winning strategy, making a deal with the Commies in 1954 to unite the country but be allied with us against the Soviets and company seems obvious now.  But prior to Nixon and Kissinger we were politically unable to execute that sort of strategy even if we were capable of considering it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

With just a few more drag marks the US would have won.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Hey, my dad and father in law are both Vietnam vets.  Don't say they're about to enter 'die off phase'! :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2014, 02:57:29 PM
The winning strategy, making a deal with the Commies in 1954 to unite the country but be allied with us against the Soviets and company seems obvious now.  But prior to Nixon and Kissinger we were politically unable to execute that sort of strategy even if we were capable of considering it.
How would we have been able to convince Ho Chi Minh to ally Vietnam with the United States?  Wouldn't he have just assumed we wanted to assume the colonial mantle from the French?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2014, 02:57:29 PM

That's a bit far-fetched.  I don't see the Vietnamese communists being good allies for us in the Cold War.  More like they take whatever aid we give them, say "ha ha suckers" and join the Soviet sphere of influence regardless.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2014, 03:09:56 PM
Hey, my dad and father in law are both Vietnam vets.  Don't say they're about to enter 'die off phase'! :(

Sorry.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2014, 03:14:30 PM
That's a bit far-fetched.  I don't see the Vietnamese communists being good allies for us in the Cold War.  More like they take whatever aid we give them, say "ha ha suckers" and join the Soviet sphere of influence regardless.

The Vietnamese had no love for the Soviets.  They pretty much dislike everybody.  All we really needed was just for them not to be Soviet allies and I think we could have swung that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2014, 03:45:26 PM
The Vietnamese had no love for the Soviets.  They pretty much dislike everybody.  All we really needed was just for them not to be Soviet allies and I think we could have swung that.

The thought of them being another Yugoslavia is an interesting one-- I'm just awfully skeptical we could have pulled it off.  Let alone the notion of willingly condemning the entire country to suffering under communism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The Vietnam War was not winnable using means that were cost effective for the US.  It would have been better to just let the North invade the South.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2014, 04:12:12 PM
The Vietnam War was not winnable using means that were cost effective for the US.  It would have been better to just let the North invade the South.

Two questions for Yi...

--if in the mid 60s the US had cut off the Ho Chi Minh Trail (and never allowed the sihanouk trail to open), what would have happened?

--forget winning the war. Losing the war involved the north invading the south with conventional forces, which was comparatively easy for the US to stop. What if we reduced our commitment in the 70s to just prevent that?

Caliga

I believe the war could have been winnable had we invaded North Vietnam directly, but in that situation China surely would have directly intervened and nobody wanted to fight another Korean War.