Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 25, 2014, 05:16:47 AM
The world gets to see how things go when the West isn't involved, or is barely involved. Let it be a rude awakening for the West's many detractors
They'll just end up hating us even more. :mellow:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2014, 06:36:48 AM
Nope, it's definitely going blow up in some other 3rd world slum somewhere, whether in south/southeast Asia or Latin America.
:hmm:

I don't think there is much population exchange between slums in Monrovia and slums in say Rio de Janeiro.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 25, 2014, 06:50:33 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 25, 2014, 06:27:38 AM
Tim, i'm surprised Ebola-chan's got you so worked up. You realize this is, of course, merely an African matter?

Nope, it's definitely going blow up in some other 3rd world slum somewhere, whether in south/southeast Asia or Latin America.

I can see why you are worried then, but I don't suppose America will stand by and let Puerto Rico writhe in anguish.
:mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I can see why you are worried then, but I don't suppose America will stand by and let Puerto Rico writhe in anguish.

Even Puerto Ricans have more sense than West African witch doctor worshippers.

They dont bathe their dead with the whole family present, they just drop the suspension and put an oversized spoiler on the corpse.

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2014, 07:31:25 AM

Even Puerto Ricans have more sense than West African witch doctor worshippers.

But Cubans don't; so Miami is doomed.   :(

QuoteThey dont bathe their dead with the whole family present, they just drop the suspension and put an oversized spoiler on the corpse.

Heh
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2014, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 24, 2014, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2014, 02:29:12 AM
If three quarters of the population of S. Leone, Liberia and Guinea contract the virus and 70% die that's 52.5% off the population dead just from that. That's 11 million people. How many more will die from starvation, other diseases and injuries that can no longer be treated, and conflict over dwindling food and medical supplies?
The 70% in the article reference the number of patients in quarantine. The article gives a figure of 550.000-1.400.000 victims. That's admittedly terrible, but way short of your number.
Once hundreds of thousands have contracted the disease there will be no stopping it from spreading throughout the population until it burns out. What I wrote is just an extrapolation of that.
What you wrote is an extrapolation of the extrapolation in the article based on an erronous understanding of what the article talks about.

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2014, 06:08:45 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 25, 2014, 05:16:47 AM
The world gets to see how things go when the West isn't involved, or is barely involved. Let it be a rude awakening for the West's many detractors
We'll just be criticized for not intervening in time. That's just how it goes.

I'm okay with that criticism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I think we should let them write in English.  Or Spanish.  Just not that weird Spanglish they speak.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2014, 07:31:25 AM
They dont bathe their dead with the whole family present, they just drop the suspension and put an oversized spoiler on the corpse.

:lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2014, 08:25:52 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2014, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 24, 2014, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2014, 02:29:12 AM
If three quarters of the population of S. Leone, Liberia and Guinea contract the virus and 70% die that's 52.5% off the population dead just from that. That's 11 million people. How many more will die from starvation, other diseases and injuries that can no longer be treated, and conflict over dwindling food and medical supplies?
The 70% in the article reference the number of patients in quarantine. The article gives a figure of 550.000-1.400.000 victims. That's admittedly terrible, but way short of your number.
Once hundreds of thousands have contracted the disease there will be no stopping it from spreading throughout the population until it burns out. What I wrote is just an extrapolation of that.
What you wrote is an extrapolation of the extrapolation in the article based on an erronous understanding of what the article talks about.
The fatality rate of confirmed cases was recently listed as 71 percent by the WHO.  My numbers had nothing to do with the quarantine number.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Also, Fate Lied, Millions Died!
Quote from: Fate on March 23, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Meh. Since the initial 1967 outbreak Ebola and Marburg have only killed 3000 people. Ebola doesn't spread quickly because it requires direct contact with the host's fluids to become infected. You don't need Outbreak style spacesuits to prevent spread. Gloves and gown are enough.

It'd be much more contagious if it spread via a fecal-oral route like polio or respiratory droplets like influenza.

That's because Fate relied on an average morbidity rate going all the way back to 67, when there was no treatment.  Advances in treatment haven't led to a consistent cure, but slower onset of death.  Meaning longer periods of contagion, and a potential exponential increase in exposure.

We're not curing them, we're keeping them around longer to infect more people.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Most people are getting no treatment at all. This whole thing has been caused by distrust of authorities, traditional practices that happen to spread the disease, much greater population density, crushing poverty and nonexistent health care infrastructure.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on September 25, 2014, 07:14:39 AM
:hmm:

I don't think there is much population exchange between slums in Monrovia and slums in say Rio de Janeiro.

Monrovia, no.  Port Harcourt, yes.  If the disease spreads down to that area (more than the isolated cases noted so far) there is significant danger of oilfield workers bringing it home with them.

LaCroix

there hasn't been an ebola outbreak like this before, correct? so, isn't it difficult to say exactly how it will progress over the next year? people and communities adapt, so i suspect the trajectory of the outbreak isn't going to play out the way authorities suggest.