And we're back!

Main Menu

Elemental - War of Magic

Started by Syt, June 06, 2009, 10:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 15, 2010, 07:53:56 AM
Quote from: Jaron on February 15, 2010, 04:35:39 AM
Its Feb. Anyone still tracking the betas?
It has become like Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.  It ain't never happening.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/  :contract:  He's working.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on February 15, 2010, 11:35:40 AM

http://grrm.livejournal.com/  :contract:  He's  claims he is working.
FYP  :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2010, 12:48:43 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 15, 2010, 11:35:40 AM

http://grrm.livejournal.com/  :contract:  He's  claims he is working.
FYP  :contract:
I think your interpretation is more on target.

The man rocketed to fantasy author stardom and abandoned this shit.  He should just admit it so the sad few who think he'll finish before Jordaning off this rock will move on to other things.
PDH!

Syt

Wardell participated in the panel at GDC about "Failed Games".
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/03/gdc-stardocks-brad-wardell-explains-the-failure-of-elemental-a/

I like how he illustrated his presentation:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 07, 2011, 05:39:22 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 07, 2011, 12:15:57 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 07, 2011, 10:55:20 AM
http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2010.pdf

:lol:

What do you find funny? I read it. I don't find it overall funny.

If you can't find it, it is no use explaining it to you then, is it?

You tell him, Ed. I don't take sass from Frenchman. That's my policy.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

chipwich

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PRC

I've started playing this with the 1.2 version and it's not that bad.  From reading the forums a lot of the problems have been fixed and i'm finding it fun so far, though i've yet to get very far in any game.

garbon

Quote from: chipwich on March 10, 2011, 10:00:13 AM
I didn't see it either.

QuoteWhile War of Magic has subsequently been greatly improved, Stardock is not convinced that this title, with a 55 metacritic average, can redeem itself. Therefore, rather than tie new Designer/Project Manager Derek Paxton to the previously planned expansions of War of Magic, it was decided to have Derek and his team focus on the creation Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, a stand alone expansion which will not require users to purchase War of Magic.

And then that fun caption says
QuoteFallen Enchantress will take a dramatically different direction from War of Magic in terms of game mechanics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

"Designer/ Project Manager"?

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If D. Paxton is a good designer branching into project management then you're wasting valuable design potential and you probably have a troubled culture; otherwise why would a good designer need to branch into project management?

If he's a good project manager who's "trying his hand at design" then you're fucked, plain and simple. If he was any good at design, why did he come up through project management then?

If he's someone with a long record of design/project management then there's a 9 in 10 chance that he's useless at both.

Colour me skeptical.

JonasSalk

Is this shit worth playing yet?
Yuman

Tamas

What I have noticed is that ever since the guy who jumped ship to Stardock left the Civ5 project, Civ5 have kept getting better and better with each patch (another one due out very soon). Coincidence? :hmm: