News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elemental - War of Magic

Started by Syt, June 06, 2009, 10:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The build is pretty basic at this point and a lot of things havent been implemented yet but you can still see some real potential here.  I like how they do the open ended branching tech tree for example.

Darth Wagtaros

:lol:
Quote from: Jaron on September 19, 2009, 01:06:08 AM
Dear chipwhich,

keep the prayer line open for important things only.

-God
PDH!

Eddie Teach

God is apparently worse than the post office at getting his replies in the right place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2009, 02:53:04 PM
The build is pretty basic at this point and a lot of things havent been implemented yet but you can still see some real potential here.  I like how they do the open ended branching tech tree for example.

Yeah, the decision point of "research something new, or just buff my farming - housing - unit times etc." is pretty neat.

Syt

I don't look much at this early beta, but I keep reading the diaries and thought this was a cool concept:

Quote+ Caravans now show up on the map when a road is completed

- Caravans will travel back and forth on a completed road between any connected roads

- If a road is connected via a proxy city, new caravans will be created to traveled between the newly connected cities

- Caravans will deposit 10% of the home cities stored resources upon reaching the destination city

- If a caravan is killed, it will not respawn for 5 turns

That puts a twist on strategic resources (no iron appearing magically at the other end of the empire for construction).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cecil

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2009, 09:13:55 AM
I don't look much at this early beta, but I keep reading the diaries and thought this was a cool concept:

Quote+ Caravans now show up on the map when a road is completed

- Caravans will travel back and forth on a completed road between any connected roads

- If a road is connected via a proxy city, new caravans will be created to traveled between the newly connected cities

- Caravans will deposit 10% of the home cities stored resources upon reaching the destination city

- If a caravan is killed, it will not respawn for 5 turns

That puts a twist on strategic resources (no iron appearing magically at the other end of the empire for construction).

Fap fap fap fap.....

ulmont

Beta 1B is up.

QuoteDon't get excited. It's still primitive. It will still randomly corrupt your boot disk, kill random pets, and make small children cry. But here's what's new:

------------------------------------
Change Log - Beta 1b Update (0.25.015 on Impulse)
[Refreshed 0.25.014 build to fix an intermittent crash bug on launch and to change unit costs to 1 gp per turn.]
- New Features -
+ Info Cards Displaying rollover data
- Game objects, such as Units, Cities, Caravans, Goodie Huts, and Resources all send mouseover messages to pop up the info card
- Caravans will show their destination, goods carried, and time to reach city
- Units will show their stats, current action or destination, and unit count
- Improvements show time to complete and required materials
- Resources list what tech or known improvement is needed to harvest them
- Cities show net income and basic stats (still needs to show resources coming in)
+ 'Turns to build Improvement' Calculations implemented
- Improvements can now require resources to construct (though none do ATM)
- Gold Cost to Build = Labor x GoldCostPerLaborPt
- Time To Build = Labor + Difference in Resources Available vs. Resources Provided
- These calculations should be displayed in the InfoCard when you roll over an improvement in build mode
- Improvements are now built in a queue
- Gold to build an improvement is instantly removed from the treasury
+ City Context ACTIONS Tab now lists all available actions for a city
- Medallion buttons hidden
- Train Unit action now listing in the TRAINING tab
- Construction action now listing in the BUILDING tab
- images made for city actions
+ Cleaned up Internal City Resource management
- made it easier to tell what is going on, both code-wise and for display in the UI
- City Details now lists details on how to reach the next level
+ Smarter Caravans
- Only one caravan per city link
- That caravan will drop off goods from the home city, then bring back goods from the destination city...rince, repeat
+ New Resources
- Twilight Bees and Wild Wheat are rare resources can be build upon by a farm but provide more food than a Fertile Ground tile
- Twilight Bees' 'Apiary' improvement added
- Forests can now harvest lumber with a Lumberyard
+ New 'Save Unit Design' dialog
- lets you set up a scene to (eventually) use as that unit's medallion image
- background can be flipped
- stance for the image is used for the pewter pose
+ Map Generation is now Data Driven
- Maps are moving towards a system where all generation options are moddable, right now only the main features are hooked up
- Maps should no longer look like big blobs, but may end up looking like big spiders instead (it's a work in progress)
- Tweaks -
+ Texture Atlas: Forces generated texture to a smaller size to help with cards that were struggling on startup
+ Research Screen: Time to unlocked milestone changed from PERCENTAGE to TURNS
+ Lowered the speed of units
+ Evil Factions disabled as opponents until we get more of their assets ready
+ Tweaked Tech costs
+ Logrithmic representation of Techs
+ Roads take 5 turns to build per segment
+ Citizens only produce 0.01 research pts (used to produce 0.05 RPs)
+ Iron Deposits visible right away
+ Most 'Negative Treasury' logic implemented, so if you dont have enough gold, you can't build more Cities, Improvements, or Units
+ More Art Assets Implemented for Tech Tree and UI
- Fixes -
+ City Build Mode: Improvement Icons stay flat to the Terrain (they were floating 50 units above)
+ Grid lists fixed to properly display dangling entries
+ Players History daa gets Saved and Loaded
+ Changed advanced choose faction screen and advanced choose opponent screens to use shorter strings for the filter buttons
+ Various Typos

We plan to do an interim update next week to finish out Beta 1B.

I'd say have fun but...well, you know...

Cecil

Any new updates on this you people who actually bothers to stay updated?

ulmont

They just released 1C, with some more limited AI features, but really I'm not planning to check back in until beta 2 in feb.

Syt

Same here. I follow the dev diaries (which are nice, and frogboy is one of the legendary super- :nerd: IMO), but the game ain't much fun yet (as advertised).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Its Feb. Anyone still tracking the betas?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on February 15, 2010, 04:35:39 AM
Its Feb. Anyone still tracking the betas?
It has become like Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.  It ain't never happening.
PDH!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I tried it a few weeks ago. 

The RR Martin reference was perfect. :lol:

chipwich

It's basically a perpetual open beta until winter, like Twilight of the Arnor.