Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Maximus on March 11, 2014, 01:50:00 PM
Surely an invasion could be considered a breach of contract.

While I certainly agree, I think the Ukrainians will have to bend over and accept some sort of deal no matter what. The basing rights being a best possible result.

I am afraid they'll have to offer more, like increased autonomy or simply just have to hand over the whole thing. While a shirtless Putin masturbates furiously in the Kremlin.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2014, 01:22:42 PM
Is there any legitimate way to expel Russia from the Security Council

I suppose the Council could retroactively decide not to recognize the transfer of the USSR seat to the Russia.
For extra credit, it could then decide to recognize Ukraine as the valid successor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Putin will ride shirtless on a shark right into Sebastopol harbor, guns blazing, and take back the Crimea himself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2014, 01:58:09 PM
Putin will ride shirtless on a shark right into Sebastopol harbor, guns blazing, and take back the Crimea himself.

Then kill a white tiger that's tranquilised. Yes, I can see that playing out.

Caliga

I believe he can do it.  I know I could single-handedly conquer France and while I am kind of a badass, I'm no Putin... and Ukraine is no France.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2014, 02:02:25 PM
and Ukraine is no France.

Agreed, it is days now since the invasion began and they still havent surrendered.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on March 11, 2014, 01:44:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 01:33:24 PM
Ukraine to have free, fair and democratic elections so establish a fully legitimate government.  If he wants, Yuschenko can run again.  Any decision to proceed with charges left to new government.  Russian troops to stand down and return to base in Crimea, and Ukrainian troops to be unmolested.  Ukrainian membership in NATO to be off the table for 25 years, together with the new government re-confirming the Sevastopol lease.  New government to decide the countries economic fate vis-a-vis EU and Russia as it sees fit.

Referendum on status of Crimea to be scheduled for 2015 to be supervised by international community.  Joining Russia, status quo, and renegotiating status within Ukraine to all be options.
Why on earth would Ukraine agree to a continuation of the Sevastopol base now that it has been used to launch an invasion?

Because I'm trying to make it a quid pro quo - give Russia some incentive to withdraw.  And Yuschenko did sign a lease extension and we should stand for the principle that countries should live up to their agreements (like the Budapest Treaty).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 01:24:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 11, 2014, 01:22:42 PM
Is there any legitimate way to expel Russia from the Security Council, other than creating "No Russia Club" and transferring all the UN functions to it?

Dunno.  But it is a fun idea.

It's a terrible idea.

None of the four other permanent members would want to set a precedent or establish a method for such a removal. It's against all their interests, not just Britain's and France's (the two countries that would immediately find their position in jeopardy.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Beenherebefore

It's a good thing the west of the Ukraine isn't flat tank country. That would really suck for them.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on March 11, 2014, 01:39:34 PM
US and EU supports Russia's annexation of Crimea in exchange for Russian and EU support of the United States annexation of Cuba and the United States and Russia supporting the restoration of the Hapsburg monarchy in Mexico.  Then partition the Ukraine into two protectorates, the east in the Russian sphere of influence and the west in the European.  Everybody wins.   :bowler:

Oh good, another slave state.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2014, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2014, 02:02:25 PM
and Ukraine is no France.

Agreed, it is days now since the invasion began and they still havent surrendered.

Nah they already surrendered their nukes decades ago.  France would never do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 02:06:13 PM

Because I'm trying to make it a quid pro quo - give Russia some incentive to withdraw.  And Yuschenko did sign a lease extension and we should stand for the principle that countries should live up to their agreements (like the Budapest Treaty).

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have some Ukranian roots?

I feel for you.

I must admit when all this started, I started reading up on the whole Ukraine-Russia thing.
Yuschenko and whoever else that seems to have held political power are basically backed by some oligarchs, and the common man as per usual is shafted with little or no lube. It certainly makes the EU look like a paragon of democratic virtue.

derspiess

Cut bait on Crimea, try to secure minority rights there for ethnic Ukrainians & Tatars.  Make it abundantly clear that Russia is not to move any further.  Push for some sort of compensation to Ukraine for loss of territory (if not, keep sanctions in place and/or ratchet them up a bit).  Then Ukraine in NATO (EU decision is between Ukraine and EU but sounds good to me).  Possibly quietly talk to Ukraine about jettisoning a troublesome Russian-majority oblast or two to make the country more stable long-term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Beenherebefore

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2014, 02:28:15 PM
Cut bait on Crimea, try to secure minority rights there for ethnic Ukrainians & Tatars.  Make it abundantly clear that Russia is not to move any further.  Push for some sort of compensation to Ukraine for loss of territory (if not, keep sanctions in place and/or ratchet them up a bit).  Then Ukraine in NATO (EU decision is between Ukraine and EU but sounds good to me).  Possibly quietly talk to Ukraine about jettisoning a troublesome Russian-majority oblast or two to make the country more stable long-term.

The problem would the that they would jettison their industrial base (which is the area outside of Crimea with a significant Russian minority). Without that old-fashioned industry, I am sure the Ukraine will produce nothing but cereals and mail-order brides.

derspiess

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 02:42:25 PM
The problem would the that they would jettison their industrial base (which is the area outside of Crimea with a significant Russian minority). Without that old-fashioned industry, I am sure the Ukraine will produce nothing but cereals and mail-order brides.

Then we'll see what shakes out with foreign investment.  Lots of cheap labor there, right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall