News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Operation: Rescue The Nigger Fish

Started by CountDeMoney, June 06, 2009, 07:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Good going, Seedy, mighty proud of you.  :cheers:

Though eventually, one day, your love for animals will be your undoing, when you take in a hurt rattlesnake or adopt a baby bear or something.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Gold fish are pretty resilliant.  They should be fine.  At least most of them anyway.  So long as your cat doesn't eat them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 07, 2009, 01:02:29 AM

Though eventually, one day, your love for animals will be your undoing, when you take in a hurt rattlesnake or adopt a baby bear or something.

My brother is just like that.  He fucking hates people but loves animals.  He's always saving animals or getting piss drunk and hitting someone in a bar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Do we want to know what he does when he gets home?

Norgy

I expect Seedy's clean and pristine condo will soon resemble the set of a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

Also, good going!  :thumbsup:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on June 07, 2009, 01:02:29 AM

You know how Ace Ventura is with bats? That's me and snakes.

CountDeMoney

By the way, good news on the aquatic front: only one floater this morning.
The rest are swimming and doing their thing, free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment.

CountDeMoney

And, as an added bonus, my sister's going to take a few off my hands, as my niece has apparently been in "goldfish" mode recently.

CountDeMoney

OK, people...what do I do with all those little babies?  They didn't hatch from eggs, it looked like they were live births.  The mommy was a grey speckled thing, and the babies are nothing but two eyes and a fin.  What do I do? I want my casserole dish back.

CountDeMoney

OK, I think I figured out what the deal is:

QuoteThe Swordtail is a live-bearing fish related to freshwater aquarium favorites including guppies, mollies, and platys. As such, a female Swordtail can give birth to as many as 80 fry at one time. A spawning box is recommended, or if one is not available, provide dense floating cover to protect the Swordtail fry from potential predation by the adults. Unless it is your intention to breed Swordtails, the male Swordtail fry should be separated once the sex of the fry is determined. The Swordtail can begin breeding as young as three months of age and can quickly overpopulate an aquarium.

CountDeMoney

Their new home.  Check out the sunken aircraft carrier.  Cool, huh?  I was going to buy the sunken U-boat, but I'll get that when I get a bigger tank.

Darth Wagtaros

Looks cool.  Don't worry about the babies.  The other fish will depopulate them. 

I remember the mollies i used to have trying to breed the others into extinction being trimmed back.  Alternatively you could get a divider for the spawn and begin buying more and more tanks to accomodate them.  The standard was about 1 gallon of aquarium for every 1 inch of fish when I was into the aquarium thing.
PDH!

Josquius

How on earth do you determine the sex of a fish?

Karma points + 5 though.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2009, 07:08:39 AM
How on earth do you determine the sex of a fish?

Karma points + 5 though.

Some are easier to eyeball than others;  the one type of Mollie that's in the tank, the males apparently grow the longer tails and the females get wider.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 07, 2009, 07:02:35 AM
Looks cool.  Don't worry about the babies.  The other fish will depopulate them. 

I remember the mollies i used to have trying to breed the others into extinction being trimmed back.  Alternatively you could get a divider for the spawn and begin buying more and more tanks to accomodate them.  The standard was about 1 gallon of aquarium for every 1 inch of fish when I was into the aquarium thing.

Yeah, apparently I have a shitload of mollies now.  They're not exactly primo high end fish, so going through all the stuff with segregation and separate tanks is all a bit much.  But I don't want to kill them.  :cry:

And yeah, 1 inch of fish = 1 gallon.  So, with a 20 gallon tank I'm a bit overpopulated at the moment.